Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Heart felt


It was after preparing the JETS (Junior Embroiderers' and Textile Students) Group activity for February that I had the idea for a new project. The next JETS meeting is on the 13th February, just in time for Valentine's Day, so perfect for a heart theme. We try to make an item the students can complete and take away with them each session, whilst learning a new stitch. It will be cross stitch in February on a small Aide panel attached to a stuffed fabric heart made using the straight stitches we practiced in January. 

I liked the feel of the hearts and thought a few together would make a pretty garland.


These strips of vintage Laura Ashley cotton fabric were about to go in the recycling but had such a lovely soft feel they were quickly rescued. 
They had originally came from old duvet covers so had been washed a great many times.


Stitched together with a 1/4 inch seam and pressed they were good as new again!


I pinned the "new" fabric onto a piece of white backing fabric,  marked out heart shapes using an erasable fabric marker and stitched round them on the machine leaving a small gap for the stuffing. The children will be hand stitching their hearts but I was in the mood to make lots of hearts.


Next came cutting the shapes out carefully with pinking shears, stuffing them and stitching up the gap. I used the zipper foot to do this to keep the line of stitching neat.



Decorated with buttons and sisal bows I added the hearts to a satin ribbon to make a small garland. Perfect for hanging across the door.


There were lots of hearts so why stop at a garland when you can make a wreath too. Using a rattan wreath bound with pretty polka dot grosgrain ribbon, nine fabric hearts fitted perfectly round the edge.


While out shopping for something completely different (a new rotary cutter blade) I found a pack of rustic wooden hearts. Just right and I didn't even know I was looking for them. Funny how that happens!


Ta daa...... the completed fabric heart wreath. 

I am on a bit of a roll now and thinking hearts need not be just for Valentine's Day. Maybe Spring or Easter colours .......
I wonder what other colours I have got in my stash?






1 comment:

  1. I love hearts, and your wrearh is fabulous, you've inspired me as I have some wrearh blanks left from christmas. Hubby will be thrilled to have to get them out of the lift for me. Not. Cannot believe you nearly recycled those bits of fabric, are you completey mad woman ??!!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.