Friday, 26 February 2016

Five on Friday Spring Garden


The garden is edging back to life so I thought I would share the plants that are beginning to emerge for my Five on Friday. They bring so much promise and hope that although much of the garden still looks brown and uninspiring, things are beginning to stir. 

1. Helebores





The Helebores are always the first flowers of the year in my garden. They live in a very shady spot at the back, but their cheerful flowers peek out brightening that dark corner. I love the way their heads nod and appear shy but when you get close up they have dramatic impact with their beautiful markings. They look so delicate but are tough enough to withstand snow and frost regardless.

2. Daffodils



It is impossible to look at a daffodil and not smile. They are so exuberant in the way they push themselves through the earth with their acid green shoots and burst into yellow trumpets of joy.
These Tete a Tete's are always the first to pop up and shine.

3. Primulas



The primulas come up year after year bringing paint box colours to the garden. The primroses, (which are secretly my favourite) bring bright splashes of yellow to the shady area they share with the Hellebores. 
They are wonderful at seeding themselves around the place too, which I fully encourage.

4. Muscari




One packet of Muscari or Grape Hyacinth bulbs were planted in the front garden many years ago and now they form a carpet across this small area. They come up every year despite being covered in gravel and never getting any sun as the front of my home faces North. The second picture above is of one that has migrated to the gravel path in the back garden. I am not sure how that happened! It is a paler blue and has had it's leaves nibbled by a critter, but is determined and I haven't the heart to remove it. 
(Although it may be moved to a new home once it finishes flowering).

5. Camellia


After a few days of sunshine this week, even though there were some cold, frosty mornings the Camellia is just starting to unfold it's buds. This shrub was one of the first plants to go in the garden after I moved in. It is special to me because it was a gift from my parents. Although I was concerned in the early years that the frost might kill it, it has thrived and never failed to flower every Spring in the many years I have lived here.


Seeing those delicate petals unfolding to reveal the bright yellow centre tells me that Spring is definitely on its way and it is time to get out in the garden again. 

No guesses about where I will be this weekend!







6 comments:

  1. Beautiful spring flowers, Spring is definitely in the air and time I spent some time in my own garden sprucing it up. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to see the garden coming back into life. Love the return of all the different colours!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great garden pictures. Our daffodils and hyacinths are blooming too. Love Hellebores and keep saying I'm going to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The early spring blossoms are so beautiful - and so welcome. Our Hellebores hide under a large fir and are a lovely surprise in spring.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.