Friday, 27 May 2016

Five on Friday - The Garden


A lot of time has been spent in the garden this week so I thought it would be appropriate to make it my Five on Friday. What does the garden mean to me? It is hard to define but I know I would struggle to live without a garden, so it is pretty important. 
The beginning of the week was bright and sunny and many flowers opened in the sunshine.






On Wednesday it was much cloudier and cold and it was almost as if the flowers decided they were not coming out to play.


The Sweet Sultan only partially opened
and the hardy osteospernum remained tightly closed.


There is something very inspiring about buds ready to burst into flower. 
Promise of delights to come.



These two clematis are just ready to unfurl their petals and reveal their beauty



So my Five this Friday are the feelings and emotions evoked by my garden. 

One
 Peace and Tranquility - a place to escape to from day to day frustrations to restore the soul.

Two
Safety - as I have become less mobile the garden has become a safe place to be outside. Also plants just are, there do not judge what you can and cannot do.

Three
Pleasure - an enjoyable space to spend time with friends and family.

Four
Hope - the cycle of life, renewal and rebirth in the Spring

Five
Happiness - a bit like number 3, but that moment of seeing something new like a flower you don't remember planting or a bird enjoying the birdbath that brings a smile to your face.

I have been watching the TV coverage of the RHS Chelsea Flower show this week and the artist Grayson Perry was a guest one evening. He described the garden as 
"a meditation on mortality",
 which sums it up perfectly for me. 

Joining with Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday






21 comments:

  1. Great shots & thoughts. To me garden is joy, it shows the cycle of life. Also an outdoor gym 6 months a year. It is rest for the soul. I often say that weeding is my meditation - dull and monotonous work lets your thoughts fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy weeding too, although my mother always says weeds are just flowers growing in the wrong place!

      Delete
  2. I love the phrase a meditation on morality. You are certainly blessed with a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A garden is a blessing and I'm thankful for the privilege of owning my little patch every day.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I've been watching all the Chelsea programmes in the evening but have never visited. I did go to Hampton Court a couple of times though. It sounds like Grayson Perry might design a garden - that I'm sure will be quite spectacular. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Hampton Court too but never Chelsea! Maybe one day. A Grayson Perry garden would be amazing, I love his pottery.

      Delete
  4. I think those are wonderful things to celebrate about your beautiful garden.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith, I feel very fortunate to have a garden.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures. I love what your garden means to you. It's wonderful to be able to enjoy such peace in a nice space.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a real gift to have outdoor space to escape to.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is absolutely beautiful! I loved seeing all the different plants you are growing. How I long to have a garden like that! I do you have enjoy your weekend and take it easy. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, it is a pleasure to spend time out there. I'm hoping to get the pots finished soon.

      Delete
  7. There is always something soothing about time spent in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A garden can sooth the soul, can't it.

      Delete
  8. A lovely post. The photos you've taken are beautiful especially the ones of the clematis petals just beginning to unfurl. I too have been enjoying the tv programmes from the Chelsea Flower Show. It was interesting to hear what guests had to say about what a garden means to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it has been fascinating hearing the guests views on the Chelsea Flower Show. There is something for everyone with such a range of gardens.

      Delete
  9. "A meditation in mortality" is a great way to look at a garden. I know I enjoy mine and find weeding or thinning to be quite meditative. I only wish I could spend more time out there. Lovely clematis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clematis are coming out fully now so must take some more photos!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful garden. I'm so glad you have such a special spot in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that s such a kind thought.

      Delete
  11. Love what a garden means to you. I do not think I could be wholly happy if I did not have a garden. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.