Friday, 20 May 2016

Five on Friday - Happy Fabric Books

For Five on Friday this week I would like to share the five pages of a little fabric book made at a workshop with Textile Artist Jill Izzard. The title of the workshop was Happy Fabric Books. What could be better than Fabric and Books as they both make me Happy? Jill is a wonderful, talented lady and you can see her beautiful work on her website Textile Art - Jill Dian Izzard - Textile Artist

The front cover and back of the Happy Fabric Book
Jill brought all the resources we needed for the workshop with her and was very generous with all her materials encouraging us to take fabric, buttons, lace, beads and a myriad of other lovely treasures. Why is someone else's stash is so much more exciting than ones own? Jill demonstrated how to combine fabrics with scraps of lace and other trimmings with lots of examples of her own work. 
I could have spent all day just looking at her amazing work.


This wall hanging is one of my favorites although I apologise for the photo as it does not really show the beauty of it. There are better pictures on her website.

The pages of my book were created rather randomly just choosing pieces that pleased me rather than adopting any theme. However, looking through the book now, each page prompts a memory.

One 
Sitting and listening to my maternal Grandmother tell me stories about her life.


Two
Watching the birds in the garden with my father.


Three
Learning to stitch and embroider with my mother.


Four
The birds and flowers loved by a special friend.


Five
Meeting up with my brother and sister-in-law in the Tuileries Garden, Paris.


They are all memories bound up with love and special moments in my life.

Truly a Happy Book

Thank you Jill.







Joining with Amy at Love Made My Home and Five on Friday

26 comments:

  1. Your book is so pretty & romantic - nice job! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful book, inspirational and filled with so many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite serendipitous the way it came together!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful book and lovely memories! Thank you for sharing them with us. Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday, I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a good weekend Amy and thanks for hosting Five on Friday.

      Delete
  4. Those books look so creative and beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I shall make a few more as they would make great presents.

      Delete
  5. Exquisite work. You must have been inspired by your talented tutor. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill was a special lady and a workshop I shall always remember.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a wonderful time you had and the results are stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a really special day.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work, you must be very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do feel quite proud of the finished book.

      Delete
  8. I love your book. That sounds and looks like a great workshop to have attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a super workshop with a special tutor.

      Delete
  9. A wonderful workshop and lovely when someone is so generous with their time and materials. Your stitch book is so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill was so generous and kind, which made it a special day.

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely idea for a keepsake, and so pretty! What a nice way to spend a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day spent with lovely people.

      Delete
  11. Time with friends spent stitching and talking is a great way to fill a day. And you have created a beautiful book to remind you of it, and of the memories you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, it was a special day that will be remembered for a long time.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful work and a wonderful idea. A real heirloom xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.