Friday, 10 June 2016

Five on Friday - In Miniature

Friday has come round quickly this week and it is time to join Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.
It has been all about small things this week. Lucy at Attic 24 started it with her lovely Mouse Wreath last week, which I completely fell in love with. Despite all the WIP that are currently in a large pile on the end of the sofa (also down the back of the sofa, but we won't mention those) I had to try out the dear little mouse pattern from Lucy Ravenscar.

1. Mini Mice


I did not have any fawn wool to hand so used a spare ball of grey instead.
I am pleased with the result but slightly troubled by the fact they look a little like rats. Having had a problem with rats over the winter (long story) I am still a bit nervous about them. These Mini Mice really would be better in fawn and so I may need to take a trip to the yarn shop soon.

2. Teeny Tiny Flowers


Once the mice were completed it was time to make a few flowers - just to see how they worked, naturally. The tiny pink and the daisy flowers are from Lucy's patterns here. The blue meconopsis came from Lesley Stanfield's book 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet. I used a treble cluster instead of a double treble cluster to keep the tiny theme.

3. Little Leaves


Flowers need leaves of course. These too are a combination of Lucy and Lesley's patterns. The fern leaf, although fiddly to start with is really effective so there will probably have to be a few more of those. It is looking as though a mouse wreath of my own may be developing...... Now do I complete that first or go back to the pile of WIP's?!

4. Small Butterflies


These small butterflies are the last part of an embroidered piece for the Embroiderers Guild Regional Day competition in July. The theme for the competition is "From the Heart" and my design is based on heart shapes.  It is not in my nature to be competitive and do not usually enter competitions but last year our Branch hosted the Regional Day. All our members were encouraged to take part in the competition and to my amazement my entry won first prize. Therefore, it seemed bad manners not to enter this year's competition. I shall share the completed piece of embroidery at a later date. Each butterfly has been created in felt and fabric applique finished with hand embroidery. The body and antenna is wire wrapped in embroidery thread. I was really pleased to find some heart sequins and pearl heart embellishments in my stash to decorate them.

5. Cute Cottage 



It is JETS (Junior Embroiderers and Textile Students) tomorrow and the students decided they wanted to make a Miniature Cottage scissor keep to go with their Cottage Needlecases. Here is the prototype which has turned out to be quite cute. I think I may make a few more for the Summer Fete and attach a key ring to the ribbon loop 'chimney'. It will be interesting to see how the students adapt the design with their own creativity. 
I shall report back next week. 



18 comments:

  1. What lovely things. I particularly like your mini mice. I MUST learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crochet is very relaxing once you get the hang of it so I would thoroughly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful creations. I really like the butterflies. Mice - shudder - crocheted/knitted ones are cute, live ones not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sharon although I can cope with the little field mice that find their way into the garden better than their larger cousins!

      Delete
  3. I saw the wreath and was sorely tempted too! Your creations are a joy to behold. I hope you win this year too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind but I will be happy to retire quietly from the competition! Lucy's creations are wonderful aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Those mini mice are a delight along with the beautiful array of flowers and leaves they will indeed make a stunning wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the wreath will find a way to be completed before the other projects.

      Delete
  5. All of your pieces are beautiful! I think the mice are adorable and with the flowers and leaves AND butterflies will make a wonderful wreath! Hope that the cottage making is fun, your prototype is very cute! Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday. I hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea Amy, maybe a few butterflies would be great on the mouse and flower wreath. I always look forward to JETS as the students are always so creative and interesting. Thanks for hosting Five on Friday.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love your mice, they don't look ratlke at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they do not look rat like to others!

      Delete
  7. Very fun projects.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith, they were enjoyable.

      Delete
  8. Such cute makes. I don't think they look like rats at all and I love the cute house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is me that has a 'thing' about rats! The house did turn out well.

      Delete
  9. Fun projects. I love the mini-mice. The house is too cute! Lucy comes up with some wonderful projects. Crochet on! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lucy's blog and all her great projects. She lives close where I grew up so I really enjoy her local photos as they are a trip down memory lane for me!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.