Friday, 17 June 2016

In the Garden - Five on Friday

Despite the many thunderstorms and rain this week there have been plenty of dry periods to get out in the garden. It is so good to be out in the fresh air and see what is coming into flower and what has seeded itself where. My garden is quite wild and things seed themselves about the place. This is mainly because I do not get round to cutting things back in time to stop seeds spreading and also because I think the seed heads often have a beauty of their own. At least that is my excuse and I am sticking to it! My Five on Friday this week are all garden related.

1. Rain drops on leaves


The Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle) always capture raindrops beautifully so they look like jewels have been sprinkled on them.


The Polygonatum (Soloman's seal) also captured the raindrops this week, which is something I had not noticed before. Mind you the heavens had opened just before I took this. It is incredible how the weather can change so quickly from thunder and lightening one minute, to sunshine the next.

2. Geraniums 


The Geraniums are a good example of a plant that has spread. I have several different species although I am not sure which one this is. This originally came from my parents garden many years ago as a small cutting. It has now worked its way round much of the garden and I regularly give cuttings of it away. Several clumps have found their way back to my mother's new garden since she moved, so it has gone full circle.


The bees absolutely love it and the garden hums with their presence. The geraniums are next to the path and I am always a little concerned about disturbing the bees as I walk past but they never seem to mind.

3. Iris




The Iris do not flower for long but ohh what beauty for the short time they are around. The complexity of their structure fascinates me. The seed heads are interesting too and and the finches love to come and eat the seeds hopping sideways up the stems to the feast at the top.

4. Poppies


Poppies always create a splash of colour in the border. These Oriental Poppies also came from my parents' garden originally. Field poppies have always grown in the garden ever since I moved here. They were not planted but must have been in the soil since the time this area was farmland. They amuse me the way they pop up in unexpected places.


I love the way the Oriental Poppies unfold themselves and the petals look like screwed up tissue paper before stretching out to capture the sun.


5. Sweet Sultan


The Sweet Sultan get everywhere! They seed themselves into every nook and cranny, including the path. But they were my grandfathers favourite flower and who could resist their determination to spread themselves regardless of where you would like them to grow. 


The bees love them too so that is another good reason for growing them.

I hope the weather improves next week so I can spend even more time out in the garden. All the craft projects are never going to be completed at this rate but I did do some stitching in the garden yesterday between showers!

Joining with Amy at Love Made My Home.
















26 comments:

  1. You certainly have a beautiful garden and some lovely plants. It was lovely to see the Iris mine are starting to drop badly damaged by the constant rain we seem to be having. Hers hoping for a dry weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes it would be great to have a dry period as some of the plants are looking a bit bedraggled. Have a good weekend whatever the weather.

      Delete
  2. I've had a real problem with my Solomon's seal this year, I'm assuming snail/slugs have attacked the white flowers, very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a disappointment. I have been lucky not to have too much slug/snail damage so far this year.

      Delete
  3. It's good that you've had some drier moments in between the showers and you've been able to sit out. I like that wooden bower. Your garden is looking lovely with so many pretty plants. I'm waiting for the white oriental poppies to open in our back garden. They're such a delicate flower so I'm hoping for some dry weather when they unfurl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to sit in the bower in the evening as it catches the setting sun - that's when we get a nice balmy evening! I hope your white poppies enjoy some sunshine and are not spoiled by any more rain.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful garden. I love the pictures of the leaves with the raindrops on. Lovely. Poppies are such beautiful flowers. The centre of them are so very pretty.

    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The centres are so intricate aren't they? It always amazes me how it all fits into the tight buds before they unfurl.

      Delete
  5. I love allchemilla especially for their raindrops. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look very special after the rain.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is beautiful!! So many lovely plants. It is amazing to see how they spread themselves around isn't it. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way plants manage to choose there own spot in the garden - often where you don't want them! Thanks for hosting Amy.

      Delete
  7. Mother Nature shows no mercy. You have too much rain and here it's too hot to be outside. My weeds are laughing at me big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are never satisfied are we? I hope you get some rain or at least cooler weather soon.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures, you must have a lovely garden xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky to have outside space and really enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous pictures. I love the alchemilla especially and what fabulous iris. Their season seems to last such a long time with the different varieties . Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the iris and really should grow more varieties, if I can find space to put them in!

      Delete
  10. stunning garden photos, so much going on in there. hope you get time to sit in it and enjoy it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been very cloudy and dull today but I'm hoping for some sun tomorrow and the opportunity to sit out.

      Delete
  11. All of your flowers are so beautiful, but oh my those poppies!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are stunning aren't they? I love the way they unfold.

      Delete
  12. A garden should be a bit wild. I live plants that seed themselves and spread. I remember the geraniums doing that when we lived in California, here we have to take them in in winter, so I mostly grow them in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to visit formal gardens and can appreciate them but they are not really my personal style. It is fascinating how plants cope with different conditions isn't it?

      Delete
  13. It is lovely to see how your garden is growing through your Five on Friday post! I especially appreciate your Sweet Sultan...as does the bee I see :) Thanks for posting and I hope you will visit my FOF post so that I can show you some of the plants I am excited about growing in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always love Sweet Sultan because of the connection with my Granddad. It was great to visit your post and see your hollyhocks. I would like to grow them here but they do not like my heavy clay soil.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.