Friday, 15 July 2016

Five on Friday - Projects Old and New

Joining with Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday.
This week has been a mixture of completing old projects and starting new ones. Although with the number of unfinished projects still to be completed, it is a little crazy starting new ones. But sometimes the mood or inspiration strikes and surely it would be foolish not to go with it?

1. Shirley and Friends


Shirley, who introduced herself in the last post is now on her way to Yarndale. This was an enjoyable project and it will be interesting to see pictures of the other sheep created for the Woolly Sheep Sale in aid of Martin's House Hospice. I hope to be able to attend Yarndale one day, but it will not be this year. It is held in Skipton, North Yorkshire where I spent many happy times, while living in the area when I was younger.   

2. Spiral Staircase Shawl



The Spiral Staircase shawl has been on my needles for some time, but is finally finished, yippee! This is a lovely simple pattern that is easy to pick up and put down at odd moments. It packs up small and has been to many different appointments and worked on in waiting rooms. I also found it useful for when I was too tired to do anything else but wanted something to occupy my hands. The yarn is Drops Fabel, Berry Dreams and reminds me of Autumn fruit compote.

3. An Odd Sock


When looking back at photos I realised this sock was started back in March and I only finished it yesterday. How long is it going to take me to complete it's mate?! The problem is I quickly fell out of love with the yarn and the mini loop needle I used for it. My first and only completed pair of socks were created using a basic metal mini loop and were enjoyable. This pair were upgraded to a bamboo mini loop and the yarn did not slide in the same way, making it more awkward. It is no doubt my basic knitting technique rather than the tools that are causing the difficulties. Having knitted this one on the bamboo needles, probably it's mate should be too. Perhaps it is time to experiment and see if there is a vast difference if I go back to the metal needles for sock two. As they are for me it should not matter if they are slightly different but there is something in my nature that struggles with this.

4. Couthie Shawl 


This scrummy hand dyed yarn from Truly Hooked has been in my stash for some time, along with another skein that I foolishly forgot to photograph before winding it up. As soon as the Spiral staircase shawl was off the needles I could not wait to get started with one of them. 
Choices, choices..........
I decided to go with the lighter coloured skein as it seemed more summery and the sun was actually shining yesterday when I started.


The pattern for this shawl is by the Winwick Mum and can be found here. It is an asymmetric shape and great for draping. The pattern needs a little more attention than the Spiral Staircase but there is a handy chart to print out so each row can be ticked off easily. 

5. Cards (A change from yarn!)



Last week whilst out having tea with friends, I spotted this pack of cards and linen tags marked down in a sale.


There are lots of pretty papers in my stash and with some machine embroidery on the tags they should look good together. That is my project for the weekend.

What are you planning to do this weekend? Whatever it is have a good one.

 






25 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the tags. You certainly have some great creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the blog has been a great way of keeping a record of all the 'makes'.

      Delete
  2. What a talented knitter you are, I can just about master the basics. I love the shawl, pretty colours.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared with a friend who knits lace shawls my knitting is quite basic! It is enjoyable, which is the main thing.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colours of wool and wonderful creations! I love your little sheep. It will be interesting to see what other people come up with.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many gorgeous yarns aren't there? Perhaps it is just as well I will not be going to Yarndale with so much temptation.

      Delete
  4. I think those little sheep will make a great display at Yarndale, I'll have to get there one day too. That hand dyed wool is just beautiful as are your lovely shawls :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all the different sock yarns but there is something special about hand dyed yarn. The time, care and creativity that goes into it probably.

      Delete
  5. Oh, so many lovely things!! I adore them all. Your sheepie is wonderful, love your finished shawl and the new one too and your sock! I think that the tools do make a difference so don't be too hard on yourself. A bamboo needle will definitely have more drag than a metal one I think and if it is a sticky yarn that will make a difference too. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I think I will be passing the bamboo circular needle onto a friend as it really doesn't suit me. Thanks for hosting and have a good weekend.

      Delete
  6. Love your purple shawl. I'm off to look at that pattern. I use a small metal circular needles for my socks which is great but I love bamboo needles for bigger projects. I don't think it would matter if you swapped to metal as long as it's the same size :) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I think I will abandon the bamboo circular and stick with the metal one. After all I knit to relax not become frustrated with it!

      Delete
  7. Loving all your projects this week, the tags look very useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Maggie, they have been enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drool, love all of that scrummy yarn. I love your knitted sheep and the purple berry shawl looks beautiful. Leah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah, there is something special about hand dyed yarn isn't there?

      Delete
  10. You're making lots of neat things. I am visiting via Amy's Five on Friday - I live in Oregon in the countryside. Nice to meet you! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Teresa and thank you for visiting. Have a good week.

      Delete
  11. I was fascinated with the Spiral Staircase Shawl. I wanted to see how it looks when being worn, so I went to the link to see if I could find a photo. I love the design, but yours is much prettier than the photo on the link. Your colors remind me of royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Patsy, I should have taken a photo of the shawl being worn. Thanks for your kind comments and I love how the colours have worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I admire all your Five! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I especially want to make a Shirley...she is on my want to make list. I got 9 inch circular bamboo needles to try to make socks, but have yet to put the needles to the test. Saturday I went to Seaside, Oregon, to the beach and got a little sunburn on my face. Sunday after attending church I recovered from the fun I had on Saturday :) Happy Week to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gracie. Ohh to be near the seaside. It has been hot here the last few days (well, hot for the UK) and I would love to go to the beach and paddle my toes in the sea!

      Delete
  14. I love that hand dyed wool - gorgeous. I'm going to have another try to knit socks this winter - the last attempt ended up being finished by my mother! couldn't cope ... so I've got nice new wool, tiny needles and only about 10 other projects to finish (!) - surely one more won't make much difference Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS Just checking out Yarndale - oh my - I'm drooling. Going to be coming to Scotland on the Sunday and I'm wondering if I could persuade hubby to come over via England and pop in to skipton for a few hours - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the socks. I use Christine Perry (Winwick Mum.blogspot)'s pattern which is really simple to follow. Had to be for me as I'm a pretty basic knitter! Hope you get to Yarndale, can't wait to go myself one day.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.