Friday, 2 September 2016

Five on Friday - August

It is difficult to believe it is September already and time for Five on Friday with Amy at Love Made My Home. Looking back over August it has been a quiet, gentle month with no drama's (thank goodness!). There has been time to relax with a few days out here and there but mostly peaceful days at home enjoying the garden, spending time with my mother and lots of knitting and stitching. 

The month began with
1. Amazing skies




2.  A Visit to Stowe Gardens

The vistas across the landscape never fail to delight. 

Stowe House looking majestic across the lake.

The deep rich green of the trees at this time of year are a wonderful sight.

The Temples create focal points.

Capability Brown must have had remarkable vision when he planned the landscapes of the gardens in the many historic country houses he worked on. To be able to see how the trees would work when they were fully mature is extraordinary. It must have looked very different when they were first planted and I often wonder what people thought of it then. 

It is the 300th Anniversary of the birth of Capability Brown this year and several National Trust properties including Stowe have collaborated with the Embroiderers' Guild to create exhibitions inspired by his landscapes. The exhibition at Stowe, 'Capability Found' is in the Temple of Concord and Victory. This is a lovely Temple with a view across the Grecian Valley but sadly the exhibition does not have disabled access. Although some of my work is in the exhibition we did not go to that area of the garden as it is a bit frustrating when you cannot get in!

3.Garden Flowers

The garden was in full bloom during August

Lots of daisies with Day Lilies popping up


The pots and hanging baskets were full of colour too. They needed regular watering as it has been quite dry here in Buckinghamshire. My mother likes to have lots of pots in her garden too, so there were two gardens to water. It was easily solved with a routine of watering my pots and baskets in the early morning and my mother's in the evening. We would then sit in the fading light enjoying the garden and spending time together. 


The Fuchsias have done really well this year
Apparently, this is a Comma Butterfly and is an endangered British species. I was surprised when I looked it up and felt privileged it came to visit my garden.




4.Ascott Gardens

Friends and I went to Ascott Gardens one day, which I had never heard of before, although it is only a short distance from home. Ascott House is a half timbered Jacobean farmhouse, transformed by the the de Rothschilds towards the end of the 19th Century. The house and gardens are now cared for by the National Trust although I understand the family still use the house at certain times of the year. It is a wonderful place with great views across Aylesbury Vale. 

Aylesbury Vale


The gardens are divided up into 'rooms' with different styles of planting.

The Venus Fountain




The Eros Fountain in the Formal Gardens


The planting in the Formal Garden was very beautiful.

Fairy Grotto

The Grotto had been roped off because a wasp colony had taken up residence and built their nest in there. I can imagine fairies living in the grotto, flitting about the flowers when no one is watching.

5. Knitting and Stitching

There was plenty of time for stitching and knitting during the lazy days of August.

As mentioned in a previous post I was determined to make a pair of socks for the Yarndale Sockline. The lovely Christine (Winwick Mum) organises this at the Yarndale Festival in Skipton each September. The socks are used as decorative bunting and then donated to a number of charities for people who need some warm footwear. You can read all about it here

Even though I am very slow at knitting socks I was delighted to post a parcel yesterday containing three pairs, yes, three pairs of socks. Okay, so one pair was baby sized but I am still very chuffed.


The baby pair was an experiment as they needed to be made on the dreaded DPN's. There are probably lots of people who find DPN's a breeze but I seem to tie myself in knots with them. Apparently I pull very strange faces when knitting with them.


I am very pleased with the result and might, just might consider making more with leftover oddments of yarn. If they keep a little person's toes warm it will be worth the stress.

Some stitching has been going on too, creating a new range of notebook covers


This one was shared in my last post.

There appears to have been an invasion of sheep. I so enjoyed making Shirley the Sheep and her friends back in July it has started to influence my stitching. 


This one was a special request from a friend - Sew Happy and a sheep - 
 which resulted in a stitching sheep - what else?!



This Herdwick and her friend were made as gifts.



Looking back, August was a happy month. I hope you had a good August too and like me are looking forward to what September will bring. If it was not so great for you hopefully September bring better things.


















49 comments:

  1. Your needlework is very impressive. I love the notebook covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely 'Five'. I adore Shirley the Sheep, do you make those to sell as I would love to own one? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I have been making and selling 'Shirleys' in aid of MacMillan nurses. I would be happy to make one for you if you would like to email me at anoriginalbag@btinternet.com I can then send you more details too. Thanks

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post! So beautiful sky, scenery and flowers - it was a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was good to look back on it.

      Delete
  4. Love Shirley the sheep! Made me smile. You've been busy! Beautiful skies and gorgeous flowers. The gardens are beautiful and so different. I haven't tried socks yet. Someday! Have a fun filled week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous of socks but I'm now becoming addicted!

      Delete
  5. How brilliant! All those beautiful gardens and then your wonderful needlework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed with lovely gardens locally.

      Delete
  6. The landscape photos are wonderful. And, how cute are the little lambs? Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, love visiting gardens. I'm in love with your sheep!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheep seem to be developing a life if their own!

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely five! The skies and the beautiful gardens and those lovely colourful socks and of course the gorgeous sheep:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love visiting gardens and getting ideas for my own.

      Delete
  9. Your garden is amazing with it's lovely array of flowers. And, how I admire your needlework. Those little cases are so adorable with the sheep. And, your socks are so colorful and cute. Have a wonderful weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, it has been a good productive month. Hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely five.I have just finished a pair of socks and don't really need them so I shall send them off to Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, I'm sure someone will really appreciate your socks.

      Delete
  11. This is just chockfull of lovely stuff! From beautiful vistas and gardens and historic homes to baskets brimming with lovely flowers and super sweet stitching and socks! I love it all!
    Your newest follower!
    Christine
    preferablyprim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, it is lovely to meet you. I must come over and visit your blog. August was a crafty month for me!

      Delete
  12. The skies you photographed are amazing, and the gardens and butterfly you have recently seen, are inspiring, along with the clever notebook covers and pretty socks you made! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skies were most unusual for here and I just had to take pictures of them. It has been a lovely month.

      Delete
  13. You've been a very busy girl. The little lambs make me say, "Ohhhhhhhhh!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheep seem to each have their own character!

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous Five on Friday. Your garden looks wonderful and those dry spells have kept us all busy with watering this year particularly hanging baskets and pots.
    You have visited some lovely country gardens, and at their peak condition too.
    I have sock envy, this year I managed to knit a hat (knitting in the round) which I found tricky. Socks are on my list if I can find the courage, I have all the needles for socks as I have my nan's old knitting bag and all her needles.

    The notepads are adorable- you are such a talented lady.

    Five of Friday

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid of socks too but used the Winwick Mum Super Socks book by Christine Perry. All the instructions and tutorials are on Christine's blog Winwickmum.blogspot.com too. It was much easier than I had expected and I'm getting quite hooked now!

      Delete
  15. I've enjoyed your five items. You visited some lovely gardens and parklands this Summer. Your own flowers are beautiful and I'm glad you managed to keep yours and your mother's watered. The butterfly was happy to visit. Love your sewing and your knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, we have certainly had a lovely summer.

      Delete
  16. What a lovely five. Those sunrises are fabulous. We have had the Jersey embroidery guild exhibit in the Georgian house in NewStreet St Helier,. Their work in honour of Capability Brown was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unusual for us to get skies like that in an urban area so they were a real thrill and had to be snapped!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful landscapes and flower pictures ! Love the sheep motive !

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fantastic five! I especially love the view of Stowe House (I do love a stately home), and I am in awe of your socks!! I would love to knit and make things like this. Have a wonderful weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stowe House is very beautiful and a lovely place to stroll in the gardens.

      Delete
  19. What a great month you have had!! Stowe looks really beautiful, must get there someday! Your socks are wonderful and I am sure that they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for joining in, have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Amy. I'm sure you would love Stowe House.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful skies and gorgeous gardens! All those lovely flowers! And the fountain...oh my! Just stunning! I also really enjoyed your knitting and stitching projects. They are all so charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fountains at Ascott were beautiful and I shall definitely be visiting again some day.

      Delete
  21. What a delightful five on Friday Anne. Your knitted socks are beautiful and I loved the stitched notebooks. How lucky to have spotted that beautiful Comma butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen the Comma butterfly before and was very surprised when I looked it up. The sock knitting is becoming quite addictive!

      Delete
  22. It certainly looks like you've had a great August. The stitched note books are really cool, I like them. And your socks are brilliant. I am in awe of anyone who can knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The socks are entirely due to Christine Perry's great book Super Socks and the tutorials on her blog Winwick Mum!

      Delete
  23. A lovely five, Annie. There are so many wonderful gardens to visit in England. Stowe House looks like a beautiful place - too bad about the lack of handicap access. Your socks are so pretty - I'm just learning to knit socks and it's a very slow process. Very slow. Hope your week has begun well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to have many beautiful gardens that are open to the public here in the UK. I am still quite a slow sock knitter but that is improving gradually!

      Delete
  24. You really are very talented Annie. Alas I did not get round to making dicks for Yarndake this year. You made 3 ~ wow! Love the little ones especially DPN all become easier to use as you make more, promise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must keep practicing with the DPN's, but have to admit to preferring a small magic loop.

      Delete
  25. Love your photos! The skies really look beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.