Friday, 16 September 2016

Five on Friday - Couthie Shawl

 Friday seems to come round quicker every week but it is great to be joining up with Amy again at Love Made my Home for Five on Friday. It has been a busy week with lots going on and I was undecided what to share this week but have decided to keep it simple. So simple it is really one thing not five! 

This is cheating a bit but here are five photos of my Couthie Shawl.


This has been my summer pick up and put down project whenever I had a moment or when too tired to work on other things. The pattern is from Christine Perry (Winwick Mum) and can be found here. Christine wrote the wonderful book Super Socks and is responsible for me (and lots of others) learning to knit socks. Couthie is a Scottish word and I believe it means cosy and comfortable, which this shawl really is.


The yarn came from Truly Hooked and is hand dyed merino wool with nylon and ohhh sooo soft. It has been a delight to work with and I'm sure will be very cosy to wear. The splodges of delicate colour are repeated throughout the shawl.


The shawl is worked in bands of stocking stitch broken up with rows of drop stitch, which fall into lovely soft pleats as it gets longer. Along with the pattern Christine provides a handy chart of all the rows which you can mark off. A little daunting at the beginning when you see how far there is to go but exciting when you get near the end and most of the page has lines through it. 


The pattern advises blocking so that it will drape well. So being a bit of a rule follower (I would love to be a rebel, but do not think it is in my nature), I blocked the shawl carefully and here is is above. It is beautiful and the blocking does show off the pattern and the pretty yarn, but I couldn't help feeling a teeny tiny bit of disappointment that the pleats had gone.  

So I blocked it again, more loosely this time.


There are a few fold and pleats in the shawl now, making me happy. I was probably too vigorous with the first blocking. Christine's pattern is excellent and I will certainly make the Couthie shawl again. Maybe next time I will not block it at all, especially if I make it for myself. This one is a Birthday gift for a family member later in the year.

This extra photo has been sneaked in so you can see what it looks like on.


The shawl can be worn with the two long points down the front but I like it with the long points down the back as the centre point drapes so well across the front. 
(Particularly when you do not have much frontage like me!)










35 comments:

  1. That is a nice yarn, beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look so soft, warm and snuggly. I love the name Couthie and the colours are lovely too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gallic names are so descriptive aren't they?

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely project, you have chosen a beautiful colour and that will be so cozy to wear during the winter months. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased with the way the hand dyed yarn knitted up and will definitely get some more.

      Delete
  4. How pretty! It looks like an achievable design and something you could pick up and put down without losing your way. I'm sure you'll have to make a few more as everyone will be after one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks stunning and will make a great gift. Love the colour of the yarn, a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is very pretty and I hope my SIL will like it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful shawl. Very pretty colours. Thanks for sharing!

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours are beautiful! Cute shawl ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know about www.ravelry.com? I just discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravelry is great isn't it, I can spend hours on there!

      Delete
  9. It is lovely, it is a very pretty colour, it looks like it will go with lots of different colours. I bet whoever it is for is delighted with it! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to knit and I hope my SIL will like it.

      Delete
  10. The shawl made with that pretty merino wool with nylon is lovely. I can imagine how soft and cozy it must feel around the neck. Whoever receives it as a gift will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautifully soft and cosy and I'm looking forward to making one for myself.

      Delete
  11. I was especially interested seeing how blocking affected your pretty shawl. I like it looser, too, so that the stripes are more defined, but it is a lovely gift no matter how it is blocked. Thanks for posting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blocking was a surprise but the recipient is very tall so the flatter, longer shawl will probably suit her better. I shall leave it unblocked when I make one for myself!

      Delete
  12. It's a beautiful scarf, well worth a post of its own. The shape is so interesting and drapes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely pattern and I definitely make it again.

      Delete
  13. Looks beautiful, Annie. Interesting about the blocking, thanks for that. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shawl is beautiful, I love the yarn you picked for it, perfect!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another hank of 'truly hooked' yarn in my stash, it is so scrummy.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful shawl Annie! It really does look very soft and drapes nicely around you. I usually like it when the stitches all "settle" with blocking, but I can see how it would be disappointing to lose the pleats in this one.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and I hope my SIL will like it as the shape should suit her.

      Delete
  16. Really beautiful ! would suit me too ! I could never do that, I have not enough patience !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relaxing knit, so not difficult!

      Delete
  17. It looks fabulous in that yarn, and I know what you mean about losing the pleating during blocking, I felt a little sad about that too, but it's nice to have the longer shawl to wrap around yourself :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.