Friday, 9 September 2016

Five on Friday - End of Season Colour

Friday has come round quickly this week and here we are again joining with Amy at Love Made My Home for Five on Friday. It has been a busy week, mainly with the boring things like catching up with paper work and appointments. There have been fun tasks too like preparing for the Junior stitch group (JETS) which begins again tomorrow after a break during the summer. The volunteer helpers and I met last weekend to plan projects for the year and decide what resources we will need. It was a very productive meeting and we probably have enough ideas to keep us going well into 2018! 

.    

This week has been very odd weather-wise. Monday to Wednesday were dull and cloudy but very hot and humid at the same time, most unpleasant. Yesterday morning we woke to sunshine and a much fresher feel so I headed outside in between fighting with the computer and printer. 
My Five this week is the end of season colour in the garden.

1. Begonias

The begonias are wonderful. They flower all summer long and then when all the other annuals are starting to fade they get even bigger and better. I generally choose mixed colours and do not have any colour scheme in mind. So the pots are filled with riot of bright happy blooms that make me smile as soon as I come out of the house.







2. Rudbeckia

We had a very dry August here and our clay soil became very parched. I water the pots and baskets but never water the garden so the plants can suffer during hot, dry weather. It would be too difficult to water the whole garden (even though it is not very big) so I try to only grow the plants that can survive this harsh treatment. The Rudbeckia has struggled this year and has not produced as many flowers as previously, but although smaller, it is healthy and will hopefully do better next year.  



3. Hydrangea

The weather has had an unusual effect on the hydrangeas too. The first flush of flowers in August faded quickly in the heat but since we have had some rain over the last two weeks a new crop of flowers has emerged. There are several Hydrangeas in the garden and they have all been affected the same way. They look rather odd (but strangely attractive) with a mixture of old and new blooms on them.


I love they way the petals fade and change colour. I like to collect some of the dried heads to create an Autumnal display indoors.




4. Sedum

The sedum flowers are still developing and are not fully out yet. The pink of the flower heads against the lime green of the leaves bring a lovely contrasting burst of colour. The bees and butterflies love the sedum and although there were no butterflies yesterday there were plenty of bees trying to work their way into the partially opened flowers.





5. Anemones

Anemones have to be my favourite plant at this time of year. No matter what the weather throws at them, wet summer, dry summer, wind, they always come up year after year and flower their socks off.



They look especially good with a blue sky background of course!



I always feel a little sad at this time of year as the summer fades because I dislike winter and the cold months. So end of season colour and days with bright blue skies would be very pleasant
......... if they could just keep going .......... 
.........at least until the end of November please.  







15 comments:

  1. A lovely selection of late summer blooms. I have a couple of sedums in my garden and the bees are just loving them. I love your rudbeckia, I always think they look so cheerful. I haven't enjoyed the humid weather we have been experiencing this week either although the early mornings certainly have had an autumnal feel to them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rudbeckia are such happy plants aren't they. I am so glad they still flowered despite the challenging conditions this year.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful selection of blooms in your garden. Not much colour in mine at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect Hector has lots of fun in your garden Gina!

      Delete
  3. I can't decide whether my favourites are hydrangeas or anemones, I know, they are both my favourite! Great colourful photos. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to choose isn't it, they are all so colourful and cheerful.

      Delete
  4. Lovely flowers in your garden. The sedum in our garden was full of bees and also a few butterflies yesterday. I too always feel sad at this time of year, it is always hard to say goodbye to summer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my sedum will attract some butterflies too, when it is fully out. It is such a pleasure to see them.

      Delete
  5. Hello, Annie,
    You have many flowers in your garden! They are beautiful in the sunlight and the blue sky.How admirable! I see they are taken care very well. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. No country can match the UK for beautiful flowers and gardens. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your begonias are doing well and you have lots of colour in your garden. There are not so many blooms in ours now at the end of the Summer season. I forget to plan for plants that will flower in September and October. I don't mind the change in the season and I'm glad that it's a lot cooler after experiencing some humid weather. I hope your JETS group went well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see what is blooming in your garden right now, some very lovely plants! Thank you for joining in. I hope you are having a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blooms are so pretty. When I was in North Carolina my friend had a Hydrangea tree, it had no leaves but just these amazing white flowers, it was at least 60 years old!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful welcome into your garden with all these colourful blooms! I used to always have begonias, but for some reason stopped buying them. Seeing how well they look in late summer makes me think I should get them again next year. My rudbekias were also quite small this year, and I had to water them almost every day or they were in a wilted heap by evening. They are in their glory now though :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much beauty in your garden, Annie! I couldn't choose a favourite, because all the pink flowers are my favourites.
    Your gorgeous begonias make me smile too. :)
    Thank you for sharing and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.