Friday, 14 October 2016

Day Out

Hello, it is Friday again and here we are joining with Five on Friday with Amy at Love Made My Home. How is it that Friday's come round so quickly?

This week I had a day out to London to meet up with a friend and visit the Georgia O'Keeffe Exhibition at Tate Modern. We do not get together as much as we used to so it is a real treat to have a good old natter, catch up on news and visit a Gallery at the same time. We had both wanted to see the exhibition so it was a good excuse to meet up at Euston Station and have a day out.



Georgia O'Keeffe was not an artist I knew well. Like many others I was familiar with her flower paintings and the innuendo that was attached to them. She always opposed the sexualised readings of her work throughout her life. One wonders, if that was not created by others, particularly as she was a female artist in a man's world at the beginning of the 20th Century. 



Georgia O'Keeffe's was born in 1887 in Wisconsin and declared a desire to be an artist from an early age. She died in 1986 at the age of 98 after a career spanning seven decades. She suffered from macular degeneration and lost central vision in the 1970's and made her final drawing in 1984. 
I found the exhibition fascinating because it represented different periods throughout her long career. 

Here are just five of the artworks that appealed to me, although the list could have been much longer.


Special No. 9 1915
Charcoal on paper
From the Lake No.1 1924
Oil paint on canvas

Oriental Poppies 1927
Oil paint on canvas

Grey Hill Forms 1936
Oil paint on canvas

It Was Blue and Green 1960
Oil paint on canvas

Normal I prefer figurative art rather than abstract, as I generally feel more comfortable knowing what I am looking at. At this exhibition it was the abstracted work that caught me most. The movement of the line and the amazing blending of the colours just made me want to twirl and dance along with them. 
Very uplifting and not what I had expected at all.

Despite failing health in the 1970's, Georgia O'Keeffe collaborated with potter-sculptor Juan Hamilton who became her assistant and close friend. He taught her to work with clay at this time when she must have been in her nineties.
How wonderful, after a lifetime as an accomplished and celebrated artist, having the passion to learn new techniques.

A great day shared with a good friend.
Thanks L, until next time.












32 comments:

  1. Always wonderful to catch up with friends and even better when you share the experience of a great exhibition. Love the work you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see L and even better that we enjoyed the exhibition together.

      Delete
  2. The lines just flow don't they, very comforting almost. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are poor imitations of the artwork but are a good reminder of the day.

      Delete
  3. I would love to go to a museum. It sounds like you had a wonderful time :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/10/tea-time-dapper-man-and-his-girls-101416.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really worth the journey and special to share it with a friend.

      Delete
  4. It's great to explore new artists and their work. I love the blue and green piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favourites too Fiona.

      Delete
  5. Love the paintings. Thanks for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that little art exhibit. I love her use of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her use of colour, blending and contrast is very dramatic.

      Delete
  7. I expect you had time to explore the Tate extension while you were there too. I watched the Imagine TV programme about Georgia O'Keefe which was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent so much time enjoying the exhibition we ran out if time to explore. That would be a good excuse for another visit though!

      Delete
  8. I have always loved her vibrant use of color. And I think she'd know what her paintings represented better than an art critic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she was a strong woman and knew her own mind.

      Delete
  9. I know very little about her work. Thanks for the chance to take \ close look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned a lot about her from the exhibition and would like to dicover more. Maybe start with a biography of her life.

      Delete
  10. I can see what you mean about the flow & blending of colours that is so appealing! Thanks for sharing your fun day out with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blending becomes a little lost in photos and was amazing to see in her work. I would definitely go again.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have not been to an exhibit of her work, but I have loved seeing her work through various media...and am drawn to it and energized by viewing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really recommend seeing her work if you ever have the opportunity to do so.

      Delete
  12. Georgia O'Keefe produced some wonderful works of art - those abstract lines evoke much of the scenery of the southwest USA. What a great outing with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work has encouraged me to find out much more about the places she lived, particularly the southwest of America.

      Delete
  13. That's what I love meeting with a friend and visit an exhibition ! I have never heard of Georgia O'Keeffe or seen her paintings, although I am into paintings since 20 years and paint myself. So I learned something new !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great Gattina, I hope you discover more about her as her work is fascinating.

      Delete
  14. What a marvelous day out! I'm a New Mexico girl and Georgia O'Keefe is "in my blood". Love her works and her use of color. Lucky you to see the exhibition. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing the exhibition I would love to visit New Mexico. It must be a fascinating place and so different to my little corner of the U.K.!

      Delete
  15. Lovely to read your take on the exhibition. I enjoyed it but love her flower paintings so much I was disappointed not to see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand Gina as I would have liked to see more flower paintings, but was surprised to so affected by her other work.

      Delete
  16. Georgia O'Keeffe is an inspiration, her works of art are just amazing. So glad you enjoyed the show.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Meredith and I would defiantly go and see her work again if I get the opportunity. The photos do not do really do her justice.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.