Friday, 7 October 2016

Five on Friday - 4 Projects + 1 Mishap

Life has been busy recently, nothing exciting, just appointments and all the little things that need doing that take up energy. I did not get round to joining in last week's Five on Friday but did enjoy reading and catching up with everyone else. Sorry for not commenting on many, but it was a pleasure to read them. So it is good to be joining in this week with Amy at Love Made My Home and Five on Friday.

This week I have been working on several projects and trying to get some WIP's completed.

1. Sad Sock


This poor sad sock was started many months ago and may look familiar as I have chuntered about it before in previous posts. For some reason it was not enjoyable to knit and became victim of a severe case of second sock syndrome. It has stayed lonely in the bottom of the knitting bag since April without it's mate. I knitted a couple of pairs of socks for the Yarndale Sockline and enjoyed making them but could not get any enthusiasm to start this second sock. 

Until now.

I bought some lovely West Yorkshire Spinners sock wool in Kingfisher a few weeks back, which I am really looking forward to using. BUT I made a deal with myself that they could not go on the needles until the sad sock had it's mate.


It is almost there! The heel has been turned as you can see. 
Last night I got to the toe shaping, so hopefully tonight the socks will finally be a pair.
Big sigh of relief and I can get the Kingfisher wool on my needles this weekend.

2. Autumn Project Box


Recently I started to subscribe to Pocket and Pin's Habdash Box. I have had individual Habdash Boxes before as gifts and love the selection of treasures that come in them. There is no pattern or suggestion how to use the contents, that is left to your inspiration and imagination. 
(I have no connection with Pocket & Pin, I just love the concept).

October's box has a Woodland/Autumn theme and I thought it would make a great Autumn Wreath. It may have to be for next autumn as I have only just started.



I am making it up as I go along but there is a pumpkin and acorn so far and I have ideas for mice, hedgehog, more acorns and lots of leaves.

3. Taggy Blanket


We have had lovely news that there will be a new addition to the family in 2017 as my niece is expecting a baby. I love making baby clothes and was desperate to start on little jackets straight away but felt it was a bit early just yet. Instead I found a delightful pattern for a rabbit taggy blanket designed by Kate at Just Pootling. Despite the socks that need finishing and the autumn wreath, I had to make a start, just to see how the pattern worked. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.


It is the first time I have crocheted with a small hook and 4 ply cotton and although enjoyable enough I am finding the yarn splits and separates a lot. I am using the DMC Natura above because it had a soft silky feel but not sure I would choose it again. Is it usual for cotton to separate or are there other brands that are easier to handle? I would appreciate any advice.

4. Doti's Cards


As I mentioned in my last post, we are holding a Tea Time and Craft event in memory of our crafting friend Doti. The proceeds will be going to Willen Hospice who cared for her so well. A mutual friend and I have been getting together to use  Doti's Lino cuts to make some cards to sell at the event. Last week we printed lots of her designs onto strong paper and on Wednesday we met to mount them and make them into cards. 


We were happy with our efforts as there are 43 cards in the box ready and wrapped for the sale, which is taking place today. I will report back later about how we get on.

5. Mishap

As Doti's event is Tea Time as well as craft I have been making some cakes. 
Well, trying to...... 

I am not a fancy baker and would never come up to W.I. or Great British Bake Off standards, but although never particularly exciting, my cakes are generally tasty.

Yesterday I decided to make a chocolate sponge cake and an apple cake with the last of the apples from my miniature tree. All was going well with the chocolate sponges in the oven and the apple cake prepared. I washed up and tidied round (I do not have a dishwasher) and left the water in the bowl ready for the sponge pans when they came out of the oven. The timer rang it's little tune and the chocolate sponges came out looking fine. I left them to cool a little before turning them out onto the wire rack. The first one came out fine but the second one was a little stuck around the edge. So I reached across to the draining board for a knife to run round to loosen it.  Before I could pick the knife up, the sponge detached itself and slid with a plop into the washing up water.  Sponge cakes are supposed to be light and airy, which this one was, but they also act like sponges when immersed in water. There it was floating in the soapy water sucking up water like an aqua vac. 
There were a few rude words floating around too.


Here it is, rescued and dripping water. It is not the sort of thing you can wring out so I had to leave it on the side to drip.

The apple cake went in the oven despite me being nervous about what else might happen. Fortunately, there were no more incidents and the second chocolate cake survived. 


Goodness knows what the refuse collectors thought this morning when they opened my compost bin and found the drowned cake sitting on top of the kitchen and garden waste.

Have a good weekend everyone. 
I am looking forward to casting on my Kingfisher socks and making a few more acorns.








  








30 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well with your sale today, the cards look amazing as do the cakes, despite the mishap. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely makes this week. So glad you have nearly finished that second sock. Bet you will enjoy using your new sock wool. Have a good weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new socks are on the needles and I'm loving the colour.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha poor old cake, what a thing to happen! Hope your sale is successful. You've made me think about making an Autumn wreath, they are such fun things to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the Autumn wreath and hope it is finished before its time for a winter one!

      Delete
  4. The applecake looks yummy. Least said about the swimming chocolate sponge, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognise the second sock syndrome! I have some single socks lurking in my UFO collection. The Habdash boxes look interesting, looking forward to seeing how your Autumn wreath develops. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame having too many projects on the go Jan. There are too many lovely yarns out there.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your cake! It did make me chuckle though. Sounds like something that would happen to me! I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/10/tea-time-fall-foliage-and-demelza-10716.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny looking back on it and it will take a long time to live down.

      Delete
  7. Your makes are wonderful, glad sad sock almost has a mate xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad sock is finally happy with its completed mate!

      Delete
  8. So sorry that the cake did want to try life as a proper sponge but still looks good enough to eat!
    I love your autumn Habdash box and all the fun things you are making!
    Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake did look okay but was very squishy to touch. The replacement tasted good though.

      Delete
  9. Glad your sad sock finally is getting some company! Poor cake - oh well, could have been worse. That Habdash box sounds like a wonderful idea. I like the wreath with the Autumn goodies you are making.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I could have dropped both pans of cake in the water! At least we got to eat half.

      Delete
  10. Second sock syndrome ... I've met this syndrome with scarves and cowls! Sometimes, I just can't face another. !!! I giggled while reading about your sponge cake ... I don't bake anymore or I'm sure I'd be sharing tales like this or much worse. It all works in the end -- your cake looks lovely. What a marvelous way to recognize your friend and remember her. I really enjoy the subscription boxes I receive ... one for me and one for the cats. Almost like Christmas when they arrive! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Habdash box is my first subscription and it is exciting when it arrives. The only problem is I'm not sure I will keep up with the making with all the other projects on the go!

      Delete
  11. You're so industrious. I feel like a wimp. And like you, I had a mishap with dishwater, but mine was when the dishwasher overflow nozzle emptied dishwater into my stuffing I was making for the Thanksgiving turkey. Thankfully, I had enough ingredients to start afresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope all went well with the rest of your Thanksgiving meal.

      Delete
  12. Great use of the box of crafty supplies. You are making lots of lovely things. I can just imagine what was going through your mind when half the cake plunked out into the water. Oops! Glad the rest of the baking turned out. A lovely project to remember your friend. I'm sure the cards will sell well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief that the rest of the baking went smoothly and it is funny now looking back on it.

      Delete
  13. Well those last two cakes look very nice. Love the star decorations! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, we had a good day yesterday.

      Delete
  14. I enjoy seeing your makes so I missed a Five on Friday post from you last week, but can see why because you have been busy in different ways including crafting. I hope the card sale went well and you can start on new knitting and crocheting projects. Your apple and chocolate cakes look yummy. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, the socks are finally finished and I have made a start with the new yarn today.

      Delete
  15. What a fun post. I love your finished socks and hope you think they were worth waiting for now they are finished. Your cakes look good to me... Hope you sold loads and make lots for the hospice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina that means a lot to me as you are such a skilled and gifted baker. The socks are lovely to wear so definitely worth the wait.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.