Friday, 21 October 2016

Five on Friday - Autumn has arrived

Summer is my favourite season, so I always feel a little sad with the approach of Autumn and try to hang on to Summer for as long as possible. This week has marked the turning point when I can no longer deny the seasons are changing. The days are becoming shorter, getting up in the dark and having to turn the lights on earlier in the evening. It will not be long before the clocks go back and the winter months will be upon us. However, we have had plenty of sunshine, showers too admittedly, but compensated with wonderful rainbows. I have not been lucky enough to capture them with the camera, (I always seem to be driving or loaded down with shopping when they appear) but they gladden the heart and bring a smile. 

So for my Five on Friday with Amy at Love Made My Home this week, I am going to think positively and share some of the beauty of Autumn. 

1. Blue skies and golden leaves




The garden is filled with golden leaves and many autumnal shades from limey greens through to russet reds. 
There is quite a lot of clearing up to do too but I am turning a blind eye to that for now.


2. Sparkling rain drops




This is the first year I have grown Verbena Bonariensis successfully, probably because we had a damp Spring and they managed to get established. I have been amazed at how long they have flowered and although a little tatty now they still manage to sparkle after a shower of rain.

The roses are still providing flowers and the raindrops in the early morning light enhance their beauty. The leaves and flowers look like they have just come out of the shower and are ready for the new day. 
They certainly look brighter than me first thing in the morning.

3. Vibrant Sedums 


The sedums are particularly vibrant at the moment with the deep red of the flower heads contrasting with the bright lime green of the leaves. 
Like the Verbena the flowers have lasted a long time this year. 
  At the last JETS meeting I noticed some deep red, almost black leaved sedum in the garden of our Parish Council offices. Something to look out for at the next visit to the garden centre. 


4. Fading Hydrangeas



The Hydrangeas are all changing colour and fading gracefully. They had a difficult time with a very dry August as I mentioned in a previous post. They are fascinating in the way the colour either leaches out and fades or becomes more intense as they age depending on the variety. A blue and a white hydrangea would be great additions to the garden if I could squeeze them in. Perhaps they could be grown in  pots as I believed blue ones need certain soil conditions to keep their colour.

5. Looking ahead


The pots were emptied of the tired annuals earlier in the week and are looking a little sad. I had been putting it off for a while and kept telling myself the begonias still had some flowers and it would be cruel to rip them out. After a couple of cold nights they looked very bedraggled and the flowers dropped off (which then got walked into the house). There is nothing like trying to scrape red begonia petals off the carpet to concentrate the mind. They had to go.

They look very forlorn at them moment but bare, sad pots equal a trip to the garden centre don't they? 
While out shopping yesterday some Spring bulbs found their way into the basket.....


..... and at the weekend I plan to visit the garden centre for some winter flowering pansies or violas.
(Maybe a red stemmed sedum too if I can find one!) 
The pots will have some colour again and the bulbs will be safely nestled in for the Winter ready to burst into new life next Spring.   

Whatever you are doing this weekend I hope the sun shines and it is an enjoyable one.














42 comments:

  1. A lovely Autumnal five this week. I love the Autumn colours but agree the darker mornings and evenings and the colder weather makes me long for Summer days again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, at least we can console ourselves with the beautiful autumnal colour at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photographs. I think Autumn is probably my favourite time of year. I prefer the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that we all like different things and lucky in the UK to have distinct seasons, which I am grateful for. Even if I do still dislike winter!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your Five! The pictures are lovely. I love Autumn - the colours are all glorious, but I do miss the warmth of summer and the light. It's strange waking up when it's still dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something not quite right about having to get up in the dark!

      Delete
  4. A beautiful five you put me to shame I am afraid the weather has been awful here so my garden is looking a little forlorn at the moment. I too need a trip to the garden centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so busy with your wonderful creations, I am not surprised your garden is lower down your list!

      Delete
  5. Looks like we have similar planting in our gardens, I've been out in mine this week also. VB is a great plant...flowers all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VB is wonderful isn't it and I shall certainly be growing it again next year.

      Delete
  6. It is fun to me to realize that even though we are across the pond from each other, our seasons are similar. I have been admiring the photos of others' sedum and want to get some to plant here in the Portland, Oregon, area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating isn't it seeing the seasons across the world through blog land. I hope you get some sedum for your garden.

      Delete
  7. I've managed to get some new bulbs in already and binaries is one of my garden favourites. Just love your first photo. Sums up a glorious autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue skies and Autumn colours are very special and hope to enjoy a few more!

      Delete
  8. Lovely autumn photos. The colors have been splendid this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a good year for colour here in the UK.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're going to have a colorful Autumn. That's my favorite season, tired of hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting good colours this year as Autumn has been quite late.

      Delete
  10. You have a beautiful autumn. The colors are so beautiful. How wonderful to see your garden will be pretty with winter flowers soon!
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomoko, it's good to enjoy the last colour of the season.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your wonderful plants with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely autumnal colours in your photos, especially the one with the leaves against the blue sky. It seemed quite mild out yesterday and I'm enjoying the fresh lot of roses that are blooming. It's cold indoors this morning as I sit and write. I've just put a scarf around my neck. We have to watch out for frost at night now. It's time to sort out the garden tubs and plant some tulip bulbs. You are ahead of me with that. Whatever you're doing today have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses at this time of year are like an extra gift aren't they? I plan to bring all the geraniums in today before they are spoiled by any frosts. I hope you get your bulbs in soon.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pictures. This is my very favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love the colours of Autumn.

      Delete
  14. That does it! I keep seeing photos of sedum (or would it be seda for plural?). Anyway, whatever it is, I must have some next year. Going on my 2017 goals. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly recommend them Patsy and there are lots of varieties too.

      Delete
  15. Looking absolutely marvellous. Such great colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to enjoy it while it lasts!

      Delete
  16. Lovely Autumn color and your flowers just keep on keeping on! Fun to plant for another season. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have something to look forward to over the winter and bulbs are full of promise.

      Delete
  17. I have loved looking at your colourful photos. It's fun to plan for next year, if will be upon us before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely to have a short winter and early spring but I expect there are lots of people who love winter so that would not be fair!

      Delete
  18. I feel the same as you ! I prefer spring and summer by far and fall always makes me a little "blue" Although everybody says that the colours of the trees are so beautiful, I don't see the beauty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is winter I dislike so I am looking forward to next Spring already - not that I am wishing my time away!

      Delete
  19. We had a vivid blue sky here yesterday, it was so beautiful I think Fall does that. Your flowers are so beautiful. Enjoy your week,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is special at this time of year and we have had some lovely sunrises and sunsets recently.

      Delete
  20. Hi!
    Here in the southern parts of Sweden sometimes the Verbenas will survive the winter, and sometimes not. Sometimes I dig them up and let them be survive together with thw dahlias...
    Best wishes,
    AnnA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I did not know you could do that, so will try and over winter my Verbenas.

      Delete
  21. Beautiful....especially the rose in the morning sun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.