Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Being On Trend?


This morning I took a friend for an Osteopath appointment because they are unable to drive at the moment. As it was a first appointment and we were not sure how long it would take we decided I would wait in Reception. So while my friend was assessed and tortured manipulated I settled in a corner and got my crochet out. The clinic shared a space with a new tanning salon, who, it transpired were making a promotional video for social media. Tucked in my quiet corner, it was very entertaining watching all these bright, beautiful (and bronzed) young things going through the process of making their film. The young woman working the camera was very trendy in overlarge Doc Martins, slouch trousers and baggy off the shoulder jumper. It was fascinating watching her direct the participants - 'Receptionist' in teeny black dress, spike heels and long, slim bronzed limbs and 'clients' pretty blonde girl in outdoor clothing and body builder young man (not in outdoor clothing!). Being several decades older with the complexion of a red head it was easy to blend into the background as a spectator. The crochet Christmas pressie was coming along nicely when I was suddenly spotted, or at least what I was doing was spotted. The manager of the salon, a very charming young man, came over declaring "Ooh look, knitting's really trendy now isn't it?" I didn't like to tell him it was crochet. The next moment there was a crowd round me wanting to know what I was doing and the trendy camera woman had whipped her phone out to show me what she was knitting. Bless her, she told me she could only manage scarves but hoped to try something bigger soon while proudly showing me pictures of her young nephew in a bright red chunky scarf she had made. I don't think I have been "On Trend" ever in my life but maybe my Christmas crochet got close to it this morning. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I love it...so we do have something in common with the younger generation. Enjoy your day! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me chuckle every time I think about it!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to be on trend, it made me smile. I don't think I have ever been on trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me! It was a surprising and amusing incident.

      Delete
  3. If knitting's so trendy, why have three wool shops closed in my local area in the last year? I've just been forced to buy wool ONLINE! OK, so I'm a 'scarves only' knitter too, but I still like to feel wool before I buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is so sad isn't it and buying on line is just not the same. I wonder if the young knitters prefer to buy on line as they seem to do much of their shopping that way.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I don't suppose you could have imagined when you set out that morning that you would have ended up being 'on trend' with the young beautiful set. Just shows what some yarn and a crochet hook can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not at all the morning I expected but really amused me. It was also great to meet such lovely young people who were interested in traditional crafts.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we knitters and crocheters are very trendy these days. There has been a total revival, in part thanks to social media like Instagram . The project looks very festive. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me smile... How lovely to be on trend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course we're trendy! Crocheters are the best :)

    I hope you will consider joining in the 2017 PenPal sign-ups on my blog:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/11/2017-penpal-sign-ups-ends-121916.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.