Friday, 2 December 2016

An Eclectic Five for Five on Friday

It is lovely to be back with Amy at Love Made My Home after a short break for Five on Friday.
My Five this week are rather an eclectic group as it has been difficult to decide what to share. The elves elf has been busy making Christmas gifts so they will have to stay under wraps for a little while longer - no peeking allowed. That includes most of my recent makes so forgive me for this rather odd five.

1. December 1st and the countdown begins


The Autumn wreath was replaced yesterday with this one. 
I have a growing collection of wreaths and several different Christmas ones that will be coming out soon. I saw this wreath on a stall selling traditional baskets at a Craft Fair recently and fell in love. The baskets were amazing too and I could have happily brought several of them home.  The wreath was tucked in a corner and bare of any adornment and I could imagine decorating it in lots of different ways for different seasons. 
Simple lights and a ribbon to welcome the month of December. The fairy lights have a warm and cosy feel and cheer up a dull day.

2. Winter has arrived



The garden turned into a winter wonderland on Tuesday and by Wednesday the frost had frost on it! Although my garden faces south and is lovely and warm during the summer months, it remains in shade during the winter because of the angle of the land. This creates some spectacular frosty scenes if there are several days of low temperatures. This year, for one reason and another, I have not cut back the plants and shrubs, which have left it looking untidy. So the pretty frosty leaves definitely improved the overall appearance. There have been lots of little birds foraging amongst the old leaves, so perhaps they prefer the untidyness.

3. Felt angels


These little angels are for JETS (Junior embroiderers group). The adult helpers volunteered to help make a Christmas decoration as a gift for each of the girls. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has made as we all decided to do our own thing. The angels were a combination of several ideas from Pintrest. I can loose hours looking at Pintrest imagining all the things I would like to create rather than getting on and actually making.

4. Felt scarf



This was an experiment following on from the felt vessels. I had seen examples of felting onto fabrics at craft shows, so while the felting equipment was still out I decided to have a try. After some research in craft books and good old google, it looked fairly straight forward. The wool fibres need to be able to work into the fabric so a piece of chiffon seemed ideal. I cut a length of the fabric and gently felted fine layers of merino wool tops into the edges. It is not perfect but I was amazed at how sturdy the felted area was, despite being quite fine, once it was dry. The chiffon feels very flimsy in the centre and it would be interesting to see how other fabrics work.

5. On my knitting needles


This delicious hank of wool from Truly Hooked has been in my stash for a while. There have been many occasions when I was tempted to wind it into a ball but Christmas gifts had to come first. Although all the Christmas cards are not quite finished and a few other things need to be completed with the sewing machine, all the knitting and crochet projects are done. 


Finally the hank is wound and a Couthie shawl is on my needles......
.......and this one is for me! 
Well there is no law that says you cannot give yourself a Christmas gift is there?

I hope your week has gone well and all your preparations for the festive season are progressing smoothly. I am looking forward to catching up with everyone else at Five on Friday.



30 comments:

  1. A great five, I love your wicker wreath. I am going to attempt to crochet a Christmas wreath but fear I might run out of time! Your Truly Hooked yarn is beautiful, looking forward to seeing a completed shawl. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your crocheted wreath finished Jan and I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully I will be able to share a finished shawl by Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Love your frosty pictures, they are beautiful. The colour of your wool for the shawl is just right for this time of year. Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting how the hand dyed yarns knit up, I thought there would be much more white in this one but love the bright pink.

      Delete
  3. I have to laugh at your expressing my own involvement with Pinterest - looking at things to make and getting ideas rather than actually making! I'm working on Christmas sewing and making just now, too. It's such a great time of year. Your frosty garden is beautiful. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely creative time of year and there are so many lovely ideas around it is difficult to decide where to start!

      Delete
  4. Love the wreath and the felt angels. Your shawl is going to be beautiful .. love the yarn. There is magic in the frosty plants. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the shawl and love the way the colour is working.

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful five. I loved the wreath, simple but so effective. The angels are beautiful, a lovely gift for your little group. Lovely yarn, like Jan looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased with the wreath, it was a lucky find. The shawl is progressing well!

      Delete
  6. A lovely eclectic five things, I really like your wreath and the angels are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I think I shall make a few more angels as they were fun to do.

      Delete
  7. I've missed seeing all your exciting makes! Fancy felting onto chiffon! I'd never have even thought of doing it. Glad we are all back to FoF. Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is lovely to back isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love your new wreath & pretty felt Angels! Just right to give yourself a Christmas gift after all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we all need treats sometimes and Christmas is a good excuse! The wreath was a lovely find and I look forward to decorating it for different seasons.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful yarn! It has such wonderful colours. I love the wreath. It is simple yet beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing your Five

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is knitting up beautifully and quite different to how I expected when it was in the hank. I love the surprise of hand dyed yarns.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing your interesting five, Annie. I have yet to try felting on purpose and I have never tried making such sweet angels. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a try at felting and the angels. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  11. The look of your backyard is just gorgeous and the angels are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden did look magical covered with frost.

      Delete
  12. THe frost is gorgoeus as is that amazing felted scarf. YOu are so talented my friend. Love this very happy post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Meredith. I was pleased with how the felt scarf turned out.

      Delete
  13. What gorgeous yarn, you definitely deserve a Christmas gift from yourself after all that hard work I think! Love your wreath, simple and elegant. The garden looks amazing all done in white. Nature does it best. Hope you have a good Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true CJ, nature is the best designer and my garden is a constantly inspiration.

      Delete
  14. Your Christmas wreath is brill, and well done to all the Elves for being ahead with the pressies! The Angels are gorgeous so I'm sure are the other creative endeavours.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am really looking forward to seeing what the other helpers have made as they are bound to be lovely.

      Delete
  15. I think your winter garden is perfectly lovely. Anyone can have a pretty garden in summer, but your winter garden is mystical and enchanting. Have you seen any fairies playing around out there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Patsy, I hope there are fairies out there and will have to watch closely.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.