Friday, 23 December 2016

Five on Friday - Christmas Past and Present

For this last Five on Friday before Christmas with Amy at Love Made my Home here are  five pictures of some Christmas craft and a few thoughts.

Christmas Elves relaxing on Christmas cushions
Pattern by Steph at Ric-Rac

Socks for elves?

Last minute crochet
Pattern by Kate at Just Pootling

Indoor robins
Scandi hearts and stars

When I was a child we always traveled from Yorkshire down to Hampshire where my Grandmother and my mother's family lived. There were lots of aunts, uncles and cousins so it was often a big, noisy family time. As my brother and I got older we began to have Christmas in our own home with family and friends joining us. Eventually my brother married and had a family and Christmas moved to their house across the Peninnes to Cheshire. There were lots of preparations, much food prepared (and transported over the M62 motorway), new recipes tried out, fun, noise and celebration. I remained single and moved to Buckinghamshire but always returned home to Yorkshire and drove my parents over to Cheshire for Christmas.

Time moved on and circumstances changed. Following the death of my father, my mother decided to move closer to me in Buckinghamshire and since then we have had a quiet Christmas Day with just the two of us. My brother's family has expanded with the addition of spouses and grandchildren. He and his wife have now moved to West Sussex, where they will all spend Christmas together. They are quite close to our mother's extended family and join the cousins we used to play with as children for a big family party. It is funny how life has come full circle.
The family members will come separately  to visit here, which is much more manageable for Mum who is now in her nineties. So Christmas extends over several weekends for us. It is lovely that the tradition of the big family celebration continues but has been adapted with time. 

Christmas means different things to different people and is not necessarily a happy time for everyone. There seems to be so much pressure on the commercial aspect through media and advertising. It must be very difficult for families who are struggling financially or living in temporary bed and breakfast accommodation. There has been a steep rise in the number of people who are homeless in recent years and it is difficult to imagine how painful it must be to have no one and no place to call home.
Many people work over Christmas supporting and caring for others or are apart from their families for one reason or another. I am truly grateful that I have been very fortunate to have happy family Christmases throughout my life, where it is the people who matter and who make it such a special time. 

Wherever and whoever you are spending Christmas with, I hope you have a wonderful, loving, peaceful time.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Christmas memories and traditions with us. I,too, am grateful for the many happy memories I have of this special time of year. And, I hope there will be better times ahead for those who aren't able or well enough to celebrate. I pray for little glimpses of 'heaven' in unexpected places for them... for you... for us all.

    Oh, and I really liked the photos of your handwork. Those Christmas Elves are just the cutest!

    Happy Christmas,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, I think it is important for is all to look for those little glimpses of heaven. I hope you are your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. Your crafty makes are really beautiful. I love the elves. Thanks for sharing your Five on Friday. I hope you and your family have a safe and happy festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful Chrustmas and happy New Year with your family.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore your Christmas Elves my sewing skills are not quite up to that level.

    Seasons greetings.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elves came in a kit with a magazine and were really fun to make. Have a wonderful festive holiday.

      Delete
  4. A lovely and thoughtful post. We too enjoy the family being together. So important. Beautiful elves. Enjoy your Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to have loving families and I agree it is important to spend time together. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

      Delete
  5. Annie, what a lovely post. I so agree with all you say about Christmas time. I hope you have a wonderful time with your various family gatherings. Happy Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you a very happy Christmas Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been one busy girl. And how fortunate that you still have your mother to share Christmas. I'm sure you had a beautiful day.

    We didn't exactly have a white Christmas. Our only snow, several days ago, didn't even cover the grass, and Christmas day was a high of 62 degrees F. Unusual for southwest Missouri, but maybe this is the new global warming normal.

    Best wishes for a perfect 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky to still have my mother and we had a lovely Christmas, thank you. Best wishes for the New Year.

      Delete
  8. That was such a lovely and thoughtful post to read. Wishing you a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.