Friday, 20 January 2017

Five on Friday - Five Firsts

Joining with Amy at Love Made my Home.
This is my first Five on Friday of the New Year so it seems appropriate to share five firsts of the year. 

As mentioned in my short post yesterday I have recently returned from my first holiday in several years. In the past I have often traveled alone, usually meeting up with family or friends in different parts of the world. This latest trip was the first time traveling with a wheelchair


This poses a number of issues like, luggage; how to transport the crutches; not to mention the anxiety of wondering if the assistance booked will work. Luggage was kept to a minimum as it had to fit in the backpack pictured, which would go on the back of the chair. A couple of strong elastic loops stitched to the bag held the crutches neatly in place and I was all set to go. There was also a small cloth kit bag that sat on my knee. This filled up with all the layers of clothing peeled off  as the journey to warmer climes progressed. When there is not much luggage room it is amazing how many layers of clothing you can get on before expiring from heat.
The assistance worked well apart from a slight hiccup at Birmingham Airport on the way out but obliging strangers were happy to help.

First knitting project



I started a pair of socks over Christmas, (which still need to be finished). They could have been taken on the journey, but that would have involved two balls of wool and as already mentioned space was at a premium. What a good excuse to start a new project! This lovely hand dyed yarn from Abstract Cat  Yarn on Etsy and Close to You Shawl pattern on Ravelry fitted perfectly into a small bag. (I took a circular needle but have transferred it onto straight needles to photograph) As you can see, not a lot of knitting was accomplished, although it was a great conversation piece on train, plane and ship. 

First daffodils


On returning home one of the first tasks (after the mountain of washing - how did that happen with such a small bag, but, just like Mary Poppins it just kept coming) was to stock up at the supermarket. There is something very depressing about an empty fridge. Steering my fully laden and decidedly wobbly trolley towards the check out, I almost ran over a box of daffodils. They looked a bit neglected propped up by the sweet rack so I liberated a couple of bunches for myself and my lovely mum. They look much more cheerful in the beautiful studio pottery jug a friend gave me for Christmas.

First bowl of fruit


One of the rewards of the dreaded shopping is a cheery bowl of fruit. I could not resist the carton of Sweeteenie with glossy skin and leaves. (That name has to be  the figment of a PR person's imagination).  It is no doubt an extravagance paying for leaves you cannot eat, but they look so pretty and the fruit are very sweet and juicy too. 

First Craft Club meeting


This morning was our first Craft Club meeting of the year. A small group of us meet up once a month to "make" together. One of us, hosts and provides an activity, tea, coffee and cake and we take it in turn through the year. We lost one of our members last year, which we all found very hard and difficult to carry on. Doti would be very cross with us if we did give up, so we have begun this year with new enthusiasm. The bag of threads we were using this morning were Doti's, so she is still with us and part of our group.


Stephanie organised the activity and we made an early start on Easter creating eggy motifs for cards or a garland. None of us quite finished our creations, but there was cake to eat and lots of chat to catch up on!


Still not quite finished but nearly there.

I am looking forward to catching up with all the other Five on Friday posts. 
It is good to be back with a fresh start to a new year.






30 comments:

  1. I was a little apprehensive about my husbands wheelchair the first time we travelled but we were blessed with a lot of help which made it so much easier for subsequent trips. I love your knitting project and those eggs were a joy to see. Always a delight to see daffodils. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to being very anxious about travelling with the wheelchair for the first time but like most things it was not half as bad as feared. I'll be much more confident next time!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have been busy Anne. And brave to travel alone with a wheelchair... It felt scary enough travelling alone in the past without any added hindrances,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier than expected Gina as most people are very obliging and helpful.

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie, I just read your previous post and it sounds like you had a fabulous trip; how fun! I'm happy that you are home safe after your holiday. The shawl you are making is so beautiful. Hopefully, I will soon cast on for a new shawl project. Take care dear friend. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, good luck with your new shawl. I shall look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you back. Glad that all went well with your travels, you were very brave to do this on your own for the first time, but I am sure that it has given you lots of confidence for future adventures which I hope you can have. Love the eggs from your crafting, they are very pretty. Hope your daffs are lovely I just bought my first bunch today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it is good to be back. You are right the trip has given me confidence and I shall definitely be going again some time. Enjoy your daffodils.

      Delete
  5. I am SO glad you had a good time! It's always scary to do things the first time especially when you're relying on others to help. I'm so glad it gave you the confidence to do it again! Lovely crafty projects when you got home. Love the daffodils. I might have to see if there is anywhere around here selling them

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, first daffodils are special aren't they with a promise of better weather to come. I hope you find some in your area.

      Delete
  6. What a set of splendid 'first' photos. Loved the daffodils and the fruit bowl particularly, but they all created a lovely glimpse into your first Five on Friday for 2017.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fruit bowl is looking a bit devistated now, but I am enjoying all the fresh fruit! Have a good week.

      Delete
  7. If you don't need the wheelchair at your destination, we found the airport supplied one for my step father at each stop along the way with advance arrangements. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Hope your group is able to gain a few more members to keep it strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The airports and other transport systems are very helpful now with disabled access. I need my wheelchair more often now so it is great to be able to travel with it.

      Delete
  8. Glad your trip went well. Traveling with a wheelchair would be a challenge. Your craft club meeting sounds like a lot of fun. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling was much easier than expected Lorrie, but I'm enjoying being back home too. Have a good week.

      Delete
  9. Love the look of your shawl and those lovely felty eggs. Glad your trip went well despite the wheelchair. Have a great weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying making the shawl and just need a bit more time to sit down and concentrate on it. Perhaps there will be more opportunity this weekend to stay cosy and knit.

      Delete
  10. I hope you had a great holiday, there will be no stopping you now you know you can manage with the wheelchair. Some lovely makes, although I don't want to start thinking about Easter yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall definitely plan another trip in the future. The Easter project was a surprise but maybe if I can get organised there will be enough time to make a garland before the event!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad that the tip you organised worked out well and that peole we helpful. The shawl is very pretty and the easter eggs so sweet. I love to see those little oranges with their leaves as they do look so pretty in a bowl:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, the mini oranges did look great but have all been eaten now! Perhaps I should get some more.

      Delete
  12. The daffodils and fruit in the bowl look so bright and cheery. I do like the leaves attached to the clementines, have never seen them like that around here where they are branded "Cuties" I think. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what names the marketing people come up with, although cuties do sound appealing.

      Delete
  13. You are a very brave person. You have courage to travel alone in wheelchair. Hats off to you...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I must come and visit your blog.

      Delete
  14. Bravo, Anne, for all your five! I am so impressed with your trip plan and I am glad you are looking forward to more good adventures. I admire your knitting and stitching, and daffodils. I almost let myself buy daffodils at the grocery store today. As our snow melted this week I looked for daffodil leaves where the bulbs are planted around a tree in our yard, but I don't see any yet. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daffodils emerge soon although your weather looks like it's been quite challenging. Take care and have a good week.

      Delete
  15. I admire you for your braveness! A good example for every one. Enjoy your new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Riitta and enjoy all the challenges your week brings.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.