Friday, 24 February 2017

Five on Friday - Spring Flowers

Welcome this week's Five on Friday hosted by Amy at Love Made my Home.
Yesterday I woke to a second bout of sinusitis (once was enough, thank you) and felt rather sorry for myself. Storm Doris was doing her worst and threatening to take the roof off the conservatory. Things were flying around the garden but fortunately no serious damage was done.  I decided to cheer myself up by looking at some Spring flower pictures taken earlier in the week and share them with you for Five on Friday.

1. Violas

I am not sure if Violas can really be described as Spring flowers as they have flowered throughout the winter. They are so brave and pretty, ignoring all the weather can throw at them I had to include them. They have been such a welcome sight flowering constantly by the front door since they were planted back in October.




2. Snowdrops

As soon as the snowdrops begin to appear I feel the days must be getting longer and Spring is on it's way. They were being jangled about in the wind yesterday but are still standing proud today.




3. Helebores

There are a number of pink and stripy helebores in the garden but the white ones are always the first to flower. The strong waxy flowers stand out beautifully even on the dullest day.




4. Primulas

These primulas were planted three years ago in my mother's garden and despite being nibbled by various creatures and generally neglected they have flowered every year. They create pin cushions of colour among the shrubs. I think they must have seeded themselves about too as they are appearing in all kinds of odd places.




5. Daffodils

Spring is not Spring without daffodils.
The Tete a Tete (my favorites) are just starting to flower in the garden. There are lots of buds so should be a riot of colour this weekend as the sun has returned today after the storm. There have been lots of bunches of daffs in the shops for the last few weeks and so easy to slip in with the shopping.



There are an extravagant two bunches here on the table in the conservatory. A kind friend give me a bunch on the same day I had been shopping. I love the rogue cream flower among the yellow ones! Probably because I always have had a sneaky admiration for a rebel.

Nature is amazing how the cycle continues year after year. Temperature and length of daylight making things happen deep under the dark, cold soil. Nature can be cruel too with storms like Doris bringing damage and devastation to peoples lives. The bright sky and sunshine today have brought calm after the storm and hopefully time for those who were affected to recover and make repairs. I hope all is calm where you are and a few flowers are brightening your day.





21 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you have come out the other side of the storm unscathed and have really enjoyed the photos of flowers you have shared, I think I may try to get some seed for primulas and see if I can get them to grow out here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some primula seeds, they seem to like growing in shady gravel here. Good luck with them.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Spring flowers and such a delight to see. Storm Doris was quite severe wasn't she? Our fence toppled a bit and we found some odd bits and bobs in the garden which had blown from elsewhere. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris had destructive power and we were lucky and grateful to escape any real damage.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers. Everything is confused where I live ... hot one day and cool the next. Not good for colds/flu or the flowers! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're not feeling too badly and glad you survived Doris. The photos are beautiful. I'd settle for any flowers right now! Everything is grey and dull.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get some flowers soon to brighten up your days.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers but my favourite are the hellebores. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to choose a favourite as they all have special qualities.

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased that you didn't find too much out of place in your garden after the recent stormy weather and the conservatory roof is still on. It must have been disconcerting for you at the time and I hope you're also feeling better. Your pansies look healthy and pretty. In fact all your flowers bring cheer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely spring flowers. I always notice that the violas and pansies perk up and bloom more once the days grow longer. Primulas are such bright flowers, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Pansies carry us through the Winter a n d only stop when it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers, always a delight to see the first of the Spring flowers starting to poke through the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I have had the same idea this week, it's great to see the colourful flowers spreading so much cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty pictures - thanks for sharing a bit of spring with me as I look outside and the freshly fallen 11" of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful to see flowers. I don't follow dates, I follow months; so tomorrow is the last day of Winter and on Wednesday I can put my Spring wreath on the door. Hope it stays there. High winds, bad storm expected.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funnily enough, a friend of mine suggested to me last week that I should do a Five on Friday about spring flowers, but I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't because this is such a lovely post. Thank you for showing us these beauties (although I am firmly of the opinion that Spring hasn't sprung until the equinox!). I hope you are feeling a bit better now. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope the daffodils in your garden opened up over the weekend. It's lovely to have all these colours in your garden at this time of year. I hope the sinusitis is better, have a nice Wednesday! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have your wind now. It's been going on most of the night and all day. The trees are swaying like they are dancing...and I'm hoping they don't fall over! I really enjoyed your flower pictures. We do not get any flowers blooming in the winter months, so I love seeing color! Wish I had a conservatory. Would you show us a picture sometime?

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry to be late visiting, but I wanted to wait until the link had closed and I could write to everyone who had taken part. Thank you so much for your support of Five On Friday this week and in the weeks gone by. I do so appreciate it and have really enjoyed reading your posts. I hope that you will enjoy going to the new link up just as much and will continue to take part. I hope that I will still see you at my blog sometimes, I will of course still be visiting you sometimes too! Best wishes and many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's nothing quite like the flowers of Spring!
    Your beautiful Hellebores stood up to the Doris storm very well.
    Like Amy, apologies for being late I don't know where the time goes!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.