Friday, 3 February 2017

Five on Friday - WIP's and a Ta Dah moment

How did it get to be Friday again so quickly????
But it is lovely to be joining with Amy at Love Made My Home for the Five on Friday roundup.

There seem to be rather a large number of bags around my house that have WIP's in them and I am trying to reduce that number before starting, or dare I say, purchasing more yarn/fabric/pretty embellishments for new projects. There are lots of ideas buzzing around in my head - that's the problem/temptation with Instagram and Pintrest, with all the lovely, creative projects going on in the crafty community. Well so far, so good, the only purchases I have made recently have been sewing thread in colours I had run out of and they were half price so that doesn't count does it?

1. Pear Napkins


I made some table mats last year using left over fabric from another project and the plan had been to embroider a set of napkins to match. The napkins were purchased, threads sorted and that's as far as I got. Earlier this week I met with stitching friends from the Embroiderers' Guild and decided it was time to finally get started.


It is ages since I have done any hand sewing as knitting and crochet have been my preferred crafts during the winter evenings. I had forgotten how much I enjoy hand stitching and the rhythm of the needle is very soothing.

2. Preparation for JETS


Not so soothing is preparing materials for the JETS (Junior stitch group)! The volunteer helpers met last Saturday and we have planned the monthly activities up to the Summer holiday. As mentioned in a previous post the group now has a sewing machine so often two activities are going on, a hand stitched project and a machine stitched one. In February we will be making embroidered heart brooches and a soft toy puppy. As the purpose of the puppy project is to learn to machine stitch round shapes it was decided the pieces should be cut out for the students. I prefer them to cut their own patterns out but this can be tricky for the younger members of the group. A set of puppies are all cut and ready in a range of coloured fabrics so the bonus is not having to transport a whole box of fabric to the session. It limits decision time on what fabric to choose too!

3. Baby Blanket


Work has begun on the crib/car seat blanket for my niece's baby, due soon. Ooh, it is getting exciting now. The yarn is a mix of cotton and merino and is soooo soft and lovely to work with.


So far there are four heart squares and three and a bit cross treble squares. I was originally planning to make the blanket 3 x 4 squares in these two patterns with a deep border on it. I am now leaning towards 4 x 5 squares in five different patterns - four squares in each pattern. I have enough yarn to do the larger size but will probably have to get more yarn to complete a border. 
Who knows? I'll let you know the final decision later.

4. Long Socks


These socks were started at Christmas but had not been out of their bag since New Year.


I was delighted to discover the heel had been turned on the first one when I pulled it out of the bag to photograph this morning! A good incentive to knit to the toe and finish it. Another good incentive was finding all my hand knitted socks in the wash this morning so I had to put on a shop bought pair.

5. Ta Dah Moment!

Completed shawl
The Close to You shawl that was taken on holiday and very little done is finished - hurrah!


I really enjoyed making this and love the colour blend of the hand dyed wool from Abstract Cat Yarn on Folksy. The pattern by Justyna Lorkowska is simple and straight forward but really effective.


The picot edge complements the pattern beautifully.


Blocking was completed on Tuesday and I have been wearing it ever since. There is something very satisfying about wearing something you have made - especially if you are happy with it. (A few disaster have been recycle or found themselves in the bin!)

Well, now I have shared my WIP's I am going to have to get on with them so there can be a few more Ta Dah moments. There is a deadline attached to the blanket so that will take precedence but the socks may have to take a back seat - it will depend on how chilly my feet are........


















31 comments:

  1. Some lovely WIP's. The napkins looks so fresh and your scarf/ shawl is beautiful. It's good to get things finished. Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to make myself finish a few things before being tempted by new projects!

      Delete
  2. What beautiful things you're making! I like your pear embroidery and I really love the baby blanket. The hearts and the colour you've chosen- it will be gorgeous! I'm also impressed with your sock knitting. I hope you'll finish making the pair. I like the lace-like detail in your new shawl. Enjoy wearing it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shawl is lovely to wear and has been used every day this week!

      Delete
  3. Nothing better than being busy with yarn! Thanks for the link to the shawl -- gorgeous! You are busy! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shawl is a lovely pattern and easy to make up.

      Delete
  4. So much creative fun here on your five. Love those pears! Lovely shawl, the colors are fabulous. Have a good weekend. ~The Happy Wonderer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  5. Love the shawl and the socks.A lady after my own heart!I have put a photo on my blog of the shawl I have just finished.Have a peep.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your shawl is fabulous Barbara, I only aspire to knitting such complex and beautiful patterns.

      Delete
  6. You have made or are making some wonderful things. The shawl is very pretty, I bet it is a joy to wear:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Rosie, I have worn it everyday since it was finished!

      Delete
  7. Oh your WIP's!! They are all so lovely!!! I couldn't choose one over another I like them all. Hope you have fun wearing them, and have fun wearing that incredible shawl!! It is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! You create wonderful crocheted shawls, which I aspire to. Blanket squares are about my limit!

      Delete
  8. A lovely five but your shawl is star of the show, it is absolutely gorgeous. I love both the pattern and the colour you have chosen. If only I could knit as well and as quickly as I can crochet. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased with how the shawl has turned out as I was unsure of the yarn to begin with. There is a similar hank in red that is now calling to be made up. Must finish a few things first!

      Delete
  9. I'm so impressed with all your beautiful makes. They are all gorgeous. I feel I ought to get creating again now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a pleasure to be stitching again but there is not enough time in the day for everything.

      Delete
  10. Well done getting so many things nearing completion - the shawl is lovely and I"m envious of the socks - but the blanket is gorgeous. Have a great weekend. Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the finishing off that is the challenge - I'm great at half completed things!

      Delete
  11. All your projects are lovely. It's fun to have a number of things on the go, and then you can have a bunch of finishes all at once! Happy Weekend, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops, I mean, Anne. Not Wendy. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good to finish a bunch of things but I fear there are more WIP's hidden away!

      Delete
  13. Stunning projects, I loved them all but the baby blanket was a delight. I love the heart square, pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby blanket is my favourite project at the moment and I can't wait to start on some baby jackets.

      Delete
  14. All of your projects are stunning Annie. Well done all around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some really exciting projects. I do love that baby blanket, wish I knew someone having a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very excited to be expecting a baby to our family, so good excuse to make baby things.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love-love-love your placemats and napkins. If I had those, I'd immediately have to put together a theme lunch - "Appears It's Pears". A salad of greens, pears, celery, nuts with a pear vinaigrette; pork loin with dried pears, prunes and apricots, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a pear upside-down cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea! I will have to plan something and I like your menu suggestions!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.