Sunday, 5 March 2017

Five on Friday - A little bit of crochet

I am rather late with Five on Friday as it is now Sunday afternoon. It has been a hectic few days preparing for and celebrating a 94th family birthday. We had a lovely time yesterday and the 'birthday girl' enjoyed having all the family and everyone together. Peace has returned now and I think we are both looking forward to a quiet Sunday dinner later today. 

It is good to be joining with Amy and Love Made my Home for the last few weeks before Five on Friday moves to Tricky at Fastblog
Thank you Amy for all your hardwork and hosting over the last few years. 

My five this week are a new subscription from Little Box of Crochet.

1. Box filled with lots of goodies



2. Nine balls of rainbow yarn



3. First project started



4. Second project in progress



5. Two lovely Lucy mug cosies  



 My God Mother taught me to crochet when I was about 11 years old and I did lots of crochet when I was younger. Apart from an occasional christening shawl I have done very little crochet in recent years until I came across Lucy's blog at Attic 24.  As many of you who follow Lucy's blog will know, she lives close to the Yorkshire Dales and often posts wonderful photographs of the area, as well her beautiful colourful crochet. This is near where I grew up and seeing Lucy's photos of Bolton Abbey and the Dales are like walking down memory lane. Lucy's enthusiasm for crochet also inspired me to start hooking again. 

I had come across Little Box of Crochet through other blogs I read and also seeing lovely creations on Instagram. The subscription box was created by Amanda Bloom and her daughter Jenny and you can read all about them and the creation of the boxes here. I had been tempted to join the subscription for many months but told myself I had enough projects on the go without adding another one to the list. However, temptation overcame me when February's Box featured a rainbow design from Lucy at Attic 24. It was just too much to resist and I am sooooo glad I gave in to temptation because it was a thrill to receive a box filled with lovely goodies. The pattern booklet was easy to follow and the yarn lovely to use and I am thrilled with my Lucy mug cosies. They go perfectly with my new red teapot too.

Here is an extra photo (bending the rules I know but cannot curb my delight)


They look good on the dresser too with the hand painted plates.

I hope you have had a good week and found a few rainbows too.



22 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea. The mug cosies look gorgeous. I too follow Lucy's blog and often get inspiration from her many ideas. I look forward to seeing what your future boxes hold :). B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy's use of colour is so inspiring isn't it? It will be interesting to see what this month's box brings.

      Delete
  2. I've often admired those boxes and think they look wonderful. Maybe one day I'll succumb and order one. I love your rainbow mug cosies, they are so charming and cheerful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have really enjoyed this box although it felt like an extravagance. It has brought much pleasure and I hope if you do order one some day you will enjoy it too.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful colourful post! I have promised myself that I will learn to crochet this year, I have plenty of crochet hooks as I use them to keep my dreadlocks tight and tidy! I suppose I just need to find out how to start with the basics of crochet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy at Attic24 has very detailed instructions on her blog and there are lots of helpful videos on YouTube. I hope you achieve your ambition this year, crocheting is very relaxing and useful.

      Delete
  4. I love the flowery mug cosy. Such gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the colours that appealed to me so much and the yarn was lovely to work with.

      Delete
  5. They are lovely, your work is very neat. I love Lucy's blog and have been following her for six years - although I don't really crochet! I am learning, and making my first blanket. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy is so inspirational. Good luck with your blanket.

      Delete
  6. Lucy's crochet is gorgeous isn't it ? (so's your's btw!) I think she has inspired quite a lot of us to pick up a hook again. Just Pootling featured those crochet boxes, a lovely idea but I have enough yarn to be going on with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate at Just Pootling has some lovely patterns too that I have enjoyed making.

      Delete
  7. What fabulously bright and cheerful mug cosies... No wonder you succumbed to the box of crochet. Lucy definitely has a flair for colour and design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a pleasure to start crocheting again and Lucy's inspiration has been part of that.

      Delete
  8. Great colours in your box, I love the mug cosies:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Little Box of Crochet is a brilliant idea. I love your cup cozies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat to receive the box and fun making the cosies.

      Delete
  10. I love the colors of your yarns! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the colours are wonderful!

      Delete
  11. I've seen those Little Box of Crochet boxes on Instagram and just really love them. They're my kind of box of delights - from the packaging to the lovely patterns that come with the projects. I have been tempted many times to get a subscription too but I have resisted because I don't think I'll have the time to make the projects. I am very pleased for you and now look forward to seeing what delightful things you'll get every month. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box has been a great pleasure after being tempted for so long. I'm already looking forward to this month's delivery despite having lots of WIP's.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.