Friday, 10 March 2017

Five on Friday - March 8th

The last week has flown by and it is Friday again and so time to join with Amy over at Love Made my Home and Tricky at Fastblog for Five on Friday.

This week rather than sharing craft projects or things I have been doing over the last seven days this Five on Friday is a little different.



It was International Women's Day this week, on March 8th. IWD has been observed on this date since the early 1900's. It is a day to reflect upon and celebrate woman's achievements today and in the past and also the continued struggle for equality. There are many women I admire and who have inspired me, Mary Seacole, Emily Pankhurst, Marie Currie, Malala Yousafzai to name just a few. There is one women who is very close to me and has always been a constant source of inspiration, whose birthday also happens to be March 8th - my Mother. So for my Five on Friday this week here are the five things I most admire about her.

1. Love 
A lifetime of love, care and unwavering support for family, friends, neighbours and colleagues.  

2. Courage
Facing hardship and tragedy with strength of character and quiet dignity.

3. Determination
Always refusing to be bullied and fighting for the rights and opportunities of those she cares about.

4. Compassion
Being able to consider life from someone else's perspective, having sympathy with their experience and empathise with their situation.

5. Positivity
Despite the difficulties life has brought, always facing the world with a smile and looking forward to what tomorrow might bring.

It would be lovely to be able to share a picture of my lovely mum with you but as she is an intensely private person it would not be right to do so. The picture above is from her garden. The daffodils are a little like her - bright, cheerful and full of life. 

I am very fortunate that my mother is still alive, mentally sharp and able to live independently at 94. We have always had a good relationship, which not everyone is lucky enough to experience. My mother continues to be a source of inspiration and I hope I can always live up to her example.

Who inspires you?
Are there women who have influenced your life?







30 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have such a good relationship with your mother. I never did (though my Dad made up for her.)and I often wonder what difference it would have made to my life if I had. I hope you and your Mum have many more happy years to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both conscious that every day is a bonus at this stage in her life.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are very pretty. The beautiful combination of colors, the red ,white, yellow and green makes me smile. Glad your mother is still alive. My mother survived flue last month and now is having some rehabilitation. She regains her muscular and power. I am so happy. Have a good weekend Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your mother is fit and well soon. My mother's garden is very pretty with lots of flowers.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post, your mother sounds like a great person to have around. I find inspiration in many and don't think I could narrow my choice down. My grandmother has influenced me greatly, as has my god mother. I am going to think a bit more about this, thanks for the prompt. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is remarkable how different people affect our lives and the paths we choose and fortunate if we have strong role models.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful tribute to your Mum. My Mum is one of my role models. She's such a strong woman and keeps going even when things are tough. Here's to great women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, strong women can teach and inspire us so much.

      Delete
  5. Your mum sounds like a wonderful woman, no wonder you are proud of her. There are so many woman to look up to and respect I am spoilt for choice. Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post on International Women's Day and lovely tribute to your Mother. Something to think about, too. Have a fun filled weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have such a strong role model.

      Delete
  7. That's a great age, so pleased to hear she's living independently still. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother finds it hard to believe her age as she says she feels much younger in her head if not in body.

      Delete
  8. You are lucky to still have your Mother, mine died more than 20 years ago, she was much too young. I also miss my Mother-in-law who was one of the finest women I've ever known!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Janet, l know how lucky I am to still have my mother. How lovely to have such a good relationship with your Mother-in-law.

      Delete
  9. And your mom continues to inspire. I want to live to 94 and be sharp mentally, and independent. Tell Mom we're all inspired by her example and loved hearing about all her wonderful traits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy, it is lovely that my mother has inspired you too.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post and wonderful that you have such a good relationship with your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky Gina as not everyone is fortunate enough to have a good relationship with their parents.

      Delete
  11. You're mum is a great woman, you're so blessed to have a good relationship with her and to have her to inspire and encourage you. Have a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to always have had a happy relationship and get on so well. Happy weekend to you too.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful post honouring your mother. It's so great that she's 94 and independent - should I live so long that is my wish. My own mother has been of greatest influence in my life, and still continues to be, at age 80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to have such strong, important role models in our lives.

      Delete
  13. The five facts you explained so beautifully.. love those daffodil...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fantastic homage to such an important woman in your life, I think this is my favourite five on friday this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Tricky, thank you.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful post. Your Mum sounds like an inspiring woman. It's great to see a post about International Women's Day, so thank you for writing such a positive post!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.