Friday, 24 March 2017

Five on Friday - A Mixed Bag

Welcome to Five on Friday hosted this week by Tricky and Carly at Fast who have taken over from Amy at Love Made my Home. Thank you Tricky and Carly for continuing the Friday round up.

There have been more computer problems this week causing much frustration with freezing screens and difficulties in down loading photographs. I hope to post this 'Mixed Bag' and then it is a trip to our local electronics store for advice and possibly a new laptop. Finally everything has been backed up and I have no further excuse for procrastination. 

Apologies for this random selection of photos. The quality is not great and they bear little relation to each other, a bit like my week - rather disjointed.


There has been more stitching than knitting and crochet recently. A group of us get together once a month to do something crafty and last week Val, who was hosting, had organised some fabric screen print patches by Jessie Chorley for us. I had not come across Jessie's work before and we all chose a patch to work on. It was a pleasure to do some simple hand embroidery around the screen printed bunny I had chosen. The intention was to make brooches but the rabbit reminded me of Spring which I added to the patch and have started to work on patches for the other seasons in a similar style.


The embroidery I had done for my mother has been framed this week. Nothing fancy just a simple square frame from Ikea. We had an adventure together, more of an expedition as going round that particular store on crutches with a 94 year old using a walker takes some planning. We arrived early, as the store opened, hoping that it would be quiet but many young mums with babies and toddlers had the same idea. I shall leave it to your imagination as to the fun we had. Mum loves children and talks to them all and they seem to be fascinated by this tiny lady and offer her their toys. It took a while to get round but we managed to purchase everything we needed.


Today is Red Nose Day in the UK organised by Comic Relief to raise funds for charities at home and overseas. Many large stores and manufacturers get involved and this year Maltezers had a Bake a Million event where they promised to donate £5 for every picture of baking using Maltezers posted on social media with  #bakeamillion up to 1 million pounds. I posted my mice cup cakes on Instagram and quickly had a message from them saying £5 had been donated. A fun and tasty way to raise money! Thanks go to Jacquie at Bunnymummy for the information.

Picture from JST Facebook page
The Jubilee Sailing Trust tall ship Lord Nelson that I sailed on in January (here) arrived back in her home port of Southampton yesterday. After the winter spent in the warmer waters of the Canary Islands she is back home for some maintenance. In May she will be setting sail for Quebec to spend the summer in Canada. I would love to be on the return journey from Saint John, New Brunswick back to London in August/September but the 30 day voyage is just too long to be away.


It has been very cold again here this week and winter is not quite over although we have been spared the snow others have had further North. After the tragic events in London on Wednesday it was soothing to see new shoots against a blue sky yesterday morning in the garden. My heart aches for all those who were caught up in it; the families and friends who have lost loved ones, the injured, and those who witnessed this terrible event. Their lives will never be the same again.  It is so sad that hatred and radicalisation can inspire someone to commit such a dreadful act. Yet I am reassured in the human spirit by the number of people who's first reaction was kindness, compassion and a desire to help in anyway they could. A reminder of how important it is to show love, kindness and care for all those we meet in our daily lives. I am not religious and do not have any real faith despite having been raised in the catholic church but I do believe that love must conquer hatred. 
My thoughts remain with the victims.



   

16 comments:

  1. Love the random photos. Your embroidery for your mum looks very impressive. I'm sure she will love it.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stitching. I'm visiting from Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embroidery you made for your mother is so lovely. I learned of Red Nose Day in the UK from Karen today. What a wonderful charity event!Spring is in the air here in Japan. Enjoy your spring!
    Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching is lovely. I really like the framed picture you did for your mom. I can imagine how your trip to Ikea went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how beautiful! Loved the embroidery. How sweet you had a great day with your Mom! Loved your photos. Sometimes we need comfort after the news of our world breaks our heart! You are doing wonderful work with your charities. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos especially the bunny. Sounds like you had fun at Ikea. In much agreement with you that love must conquer hatred. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great post. Your Mum's embroidered picture is a triumph. I could just manage one of your malteaser cakes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally in love with your bunny - though he looks quite hare-like to me, which is no bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures.. I love the concept of meeting and doing s0me craft.. unfortunately I don't have such crafting group, though I'm am a avid crafter..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spring bunny is so cute! And the embroidered picture is so so skilful and beautiful - I do admire! Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your last paragraph is very well written and voices my thoughts exactly. I just don't understand such evil and hatred and what makes people do such unfathomable things. Your stitchings are so very beautiful. I can just imagine you two getting around in Ikea, but it sounds like your mom had a lovey time chatting with the children so that made for a good morning for everyone. It is those connections we make out in the world that are so very important. Congrats on the cupcake donations ... a very tasty way to make a difference. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tragedy is becoming common now isn't it? Tragedy and ridiculous politics. I am so hoping that we can all find peace. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done for your malteser fund raising! a very good cause. Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman, I bet our kids would talk her ears off! Thanks for joining in with your Five on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The embroidery picture you made for your mom is beautiful. Hope we can see a photo of it in its new frame soon. The last photo is gorgeous and yes, very soothing. We must all continue to believe that no matter what, love would always conquer hatred. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The embroidery you did for your mother is just gorgeous, so full of texture and detail. It's been a while since I did any hand sewing like that, and I'd like to do something. Your last paragraph was lovely - love will always conquer hatred, I like that. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.