Friday, 14 April 2017

Technology Aaaaaaggggghhhhh

Hello, it is good to be back after a few technological hiccups. Thank you everyone who commented on my last post, I really enjoyed reading your comments but apologies for not replying. There has been quite a lot of frustration and gnashing of teeth going on trying to sort out the laptop. Before sharing these problems I will share some relaxing pictures of the garden, which has kept me sane.

1. Blossom




Last weekend brought glorious sunshine and the cherry tree blossom looked wonderful against the blue sky.

2. Viburnum



The viburnum has been covered in blossom this year and the scent is wonderful. Perfect for sitting by with a restorative drink.

3.Primroses



The primroses love the dappled shade at the back of the garden and are increasing in number year after year. I think a primrose must have crossed with a garden centre primula to create the pink one. It is such a pretty delicate colour. Nature is very clever!

4. Clematis and Honeysuckle



On the fence the clematis and honeysuckle have burst back into life. The alpine clematis always flowers first and as it fades the honeysuckle starts to open. I cut the honeysuckle back quite severely last year as it was beginning to invade my neighbours garden but I am pleased to see there are flowers forming.

5. Groundcover






A couple of years ago I planted some periwinkle at the side of the garden that borders the Parks Trust open ground beyond my fence to try and blanket out the weeds that were constantly coming through. When I first moved into the bungalow the open ground was beautifully kept and managed but with years of cut backs the lovely plants that were there have been taken over by weeds and brambles, which I am always battling to keep out. The periwinkle has done a great job and is a nice thick mat with lots of flowers this year. The grape hyacinths have not been put off and are still flowering and the forget-me-nots provide there own ground cover - all over the garden.

After looking through the garden photos from last weekend I feel much more relaxed so will keep the saga of the laptop short. After spending days backing up the laptop, (it took ages because it kept closing down on me for no reason rather than there being lots to save) I took it to a local repair shop that had been recommended to me. They mend, update, sell reconditioned models as well as new ones so I asked for their advice what would be most appropriate considering my needs. The laptop was left with them and they promised to telephone with advice after they had a look at it. I was very surprised to get a call 5 days later telling me it was fixed. Wires must have got crossed somewhere because that had not been the original plan. Yes, the laptop no longer closed down on me and the touch pad no longer jumped but the processor was still too old and slow to achieve what I wanted. Big sigh and rethink.

Not having any savvy teenagers or a technically minded partner it is difficult to know where to go for advice. Friends were helpful but are not much more knowledgeable than me - i.e. "umm don't know"! None of the family are technologically minded and live too far away to be any practical help. I decided  a new laptop was to be the best option and with a bit of research, decided on my basic requirements. All I needed now was the confidence to do some laptop shopping. Is it just me or do others find technology stores daunting? The first one I went in, which will remain nameless, the gentleman 'helping' me was much more interested in selling me multiple add ons rather than showing me the couple of laptops I expressed an interest in. Needless to say I walked out. 

Eventually I ended up at a well known department store where I know they offer good after sales service. I had put off going in there as it is usually populated with earnest men asking lots of technical questions, which makes me feel totally out of place and inadequate. Fortunately a young women came to help and advise and did not try to sell me the most expensive item in the shop. So I am now the owner of a new laptop and slowly, slowly trying to get to grips with the set up and all it's features. I know it is going to take time, practice and patience but the reality is I would much rather be sewing, knitting or crocheting. Well, at least I have not wanted to throw this one out of the window - just yet.

Apologies, as this shortened version is still rather rambling. 
Thank goodness there is escape in the garden. 
Joining with Tricky and Carly at FAST blog for Five on Friday.









19 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new laptop! I find the whole technology shopping thing a little daunting especially when the sales people are really trying to sell you something more expensive than what you need.

    Your flowers all look so beautiful. The blossom is especially delightful. It is beginning to look a little like Spring. Things are finally coming out slowly. I'm now looking forward to leaves on trees.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring flowers are so beautiful aren't they. The trees here have just turned to that first acid green since the sunshine last weekend. I hope your trees start to leaf soon. Happy Easter.

      Delete
  2. I think we all have computer sagas we could share! You are back and that's all that counts. What beautiful blooms! Your garden must be spectacular. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, technology is wonderful when it works but oh so frustrating when it doesn't. Happy Easter.

      Delete
  3. Your flower photos are gorgeous. Glad you got a new laptop, hope it doesn't take too long to get to "know" it. We always buy Macs, known them forever and have always had good luck. They have never died on us, just get old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very tempted to get a Mac but as I have always used Windows I thought it was best to stick with what was familiar. It is a real pleasure going in the garden at the moment as there is something new to look at every day.

      Delete
  4. There's nothing more annoying that when these technology thingamagigs go haywire! And, oh, how we love it when they are working like we wish. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree although I think my lack of knowledge often hinders my progress and understanding. Happy Easter.

      Delete
  5. Love your garden pictures and your stories about them. I'm in agreement with you. Tech stores are impossible. My husband is very good with computers, but when we went to an Apple Store to buy two computers already knowing which we wanted, we ended up walking out (not once, but twice) due to the confusing system and the neglectful staff. Hubs ended up ordering the two Apple computers on-line, and we vowed never to enter an Apple Store again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How frustrating when you knew what you wanted. I think some of the stores have incentive schemes for their staff to sell more which affects the customer relationship. Glad you got what you wanted in the end. Happy Easter.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful spring blooms and blue sky. What else could you wish! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Riitta, Spring is such a wonderful time with all the fresh new growth. Happy Easter to you too.

      Delete
  7. What lovely flowers you have in your garden. I'm glad to hear your computer problems are sorted and the beautiful blooms brought you calm and cheer this week. Enjoy your new laptop and I wish you and your family a very happy Easter. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am keeping my fingers crossed with the new laptop and I'm very lucky to have the garden to escape to. Happy Easter to you too.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is a picture! What beautiful blossom and flowers you have produced. I feel your technological pain. I recently changed my mobile phone and all the switching over and backing up drove me mad. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology is great when it does what we want it to do isn't it? I hope you are happy with your mobile now. The pictures of the garden are a little selective as there is still lots of work to do, but it brings me much pleasure.

      Delete
  9. Your Garden certainly looks peaceful and very beautiful

    Thanks for joining in this week with Five on Friday, hope you had a great Bank Holiday Weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to reply as soon as possible, but this may take me a few days.