A lot of time has been spent in the garden this week so I thought it would be appropriate to make it my Five on Friday. What does the garden mean to me? It is hard to define but I know I would struggle to live without a garden, so it is pretty important.
The beginning of the week was bright and sunny and many flowers opened in the sunshine.
On Wednesday it was much cloudier and cold and it was almost as if the flowers decided they were not coming out to play.
The Sweet Sultan only partially opened
and the hardy osteospernum remained tightly closed.
There is something very inspiring about buds ready to burst into flower.
Promise of delights to come.
These two clematis are just ready to unfurl their petals and reveal their beauty
So my Five this Friday are the feelings and emotions evoked by my garden.
One
Peace and Tranquility - a place to escape to from day to day frustrations to restore the soul.
Two
Safety - as I have become less mobile the garden has become a safe place to be outside. Also plants just are, there do not judge what you can and cannot do.
Three
Pleasure - an enjoyable space to spend time with friends and family.
Four
Hope - the cycle of life, renewal and rebirth in the Spring
Five
Happiness - a bit like number 3, but that moment of seeing something new like a flower you don't remember planting or a bird enjoying the birdbath that brings a smile to your face.
I have been watching the TV coverage of the RHS Chelsea Flower show this week and the artist Grayson Perry was a guest one evening. He described the garden as
"a meditation on mortality",
which sums it up perfectly for me.
Great shots & thoughts. To me garden is joy, it shows the cycle of life. Also an outdoor gym 6 months a year. It is rest for the soul. I often say that weeding is my meditation - dull and monotonous work lets your thoughts fly!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy weeding too, although my mother always says weeds are just flowers growing in the wrong place!
DeleteI love the phrase a meditation on morality. You are certainly blessed with a beautiful garden.
ReplyDeleteA garden is a blessing and I'm thankful for the privilege of owning my little patch every day.
DeleteBeautiful. I've been watching all the Chelsea programmes in the evening but have never visited. I did go to Hampton Court a couple of times though. It sounds like Grayson Perry might design a garden - that I'm sure will be quite spectacular. :-)
ReplyDeleteI have been to Hampton Court too but never Chelsea! Maybe one day. A Grayson Perry garden would be amazing, I love his pottery.
DeleteI think those are wonderful things to celebrate about your beautiful garden.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Meredith
Thank you Meredith, I feel very fortunate to have a garden.
DeleteBeautiful pictures. I love what your garden means to you. It's wonderful to be able to enjoy such peace in a nice space.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend
It is a real gift to have outdoor space to escape to.
DeleteYour garden is absolutely beautiful! I loved seeing all the different plants you are growing. How I long to have a garden like that! I do you have enjoy your weekend and take it easy. Hugs, Pat
ReplyDeleteThank you Pat, it is a pleasure to spend time out there. I'm hoping to get the pots finished soon.
DeleteThere is always something soothing about time spent in the garden.
ReplyDeleteA garden can sooth the soul, can't it.
DeleteA lovely post. The photos you've taken are beautiful especially the ones of the clematis petals just beginning to unfurl. I too have been enjoying the tv programmes from the Chelsea Flower Show. It was interesting to hear what guests had to say about what a garden means to them.
ReplyDeleteI agree it has been fascinating hearing the guests views on the Chelsea Flower Show. There is something for everyone with such a range of gardens.
Delete"A meditation in mortality" is a great way to look at a garden. I know I enjoy mine and find weeding or thinning to be quite meditative. I only wish I could spend more time out there. Lovely clematis.
ReplyDeleteThe clematis are coming out fully now so must take some more photos!
DeleteBeautiful pictures of a beautiful garden. I'm so glad you have such a special spot in your life.
ReplyDeleteThank you, that s such a kind thought.
DeleteLove what a garden means to you. I do not think I could be wholly happy if I did not have a garden. x
ReplyDelete