Friday seems to come round quicker every week but it is great to be joining up with Amy again at Love Made my Home for Five on Friday. It has been a busy week with lots going on and I was undecided what to share this week but have decided to keep it simple. So simple it is really one thing not five!
This is cheating a bit but here are five photos of my Couthie Shawl.
This has been my summer pick up and put down project whenever I had a moment or when too tired to work on other things. The pattern is from Christine Perry (Winwick Mum) and can be found here. Christine wrote the wonderful book Super Socks and is responsible for me (and lots of others) learning to knit socks. Couthie is a Scottish word and I believe it means cosy and comfortable, which this shawl really is.
The yarn came from Truly Hooked and is hand dyed merino wool with nylon and ohhh sooo soft. It has been a delight to work with and I'm sure will be very cosy to wear. The splodges of delicate colour are repeated throughout the shawl.
The shawl is worked in bands of stocking stitch broken up with rows of drop stitch, which fall into lovely soft pleats as it gets longer. Along with the pattern Christine provides a handy chart of all the rows which you can mark off. A little daunting at the beginning when you see how far there is to go but exciting when you get near the end and most of the page has lines through it.
The pattern advises blocking so that it will drape well. So being a bit of a rule follower (I would love to be a rebel, but do not think it is in my nature), I blocked the shawl carefully and here is is above. It is beautiful and the blocking does show off the pattern and the pretty yarn, but I couldn't help feeling a teeny tiny bit of disappointment that the pleats had gone.
So I blocked it again, more loosely this time.
There are a few fold and pleats in the shawl now, making me happy. I was probably too vigorous with the first blocking. Christine's pattern is excellent and I will certainly make the Couthie shawl again. Maybe next time I will not block it at all, especially if I make it for myself. This one is a Birthday gift for a family member later in the year.
This extra photo has been sneaked in so you can see what it looks like on.
The shawl can be worn with the two long points down the front but I like it with the long points down the back as the centre point drapes so well across the front.
(Particularly when you do not have much frontage like me!)

That is a nice yarn, beautiful colors.
ReplyDeleteIt was lovely to knit too.
DeleteIt does look so soft, warm and snuggly. I love the name Couthie and the colours are lovely too:)
ReplyDeleteThe Gallic names are so descriptive aren't they?
DeleteThat is a lovely project, you have chosen a beautiful colour and that will be so cozy to wear during the winter months. xx
ReplyDeleteI was really pleased with the way the hand dyed yarn knitted up and will definitely get some more.
DeleteHow pretty! It looks like an achievable design and something you could pick up and put down without losing your way. I'm sure you'll have to make a few more as everyone will be after one.
ReplyDeleteHopefully the next one will be for me!
DeleteIt looks stunning and will make a great gift. Love the colour of the yarn, a real delight.
ReplyDeleteThe yarn is very pretty and I hope my SIL will like it.
DeleteBeautiful shawl. Very pretty colours. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend
Thank you!
DeleteThe colours are beautiful! Cute shawl ♥
ReplyDeletesummerdaisycottage.blogspot.com
Thank you!
DeleteDo you know about www.ravelry.com? I just discovered it.
ReplyDeleteRavelry is great isn't it, I can spend hours on there!
DeleteVery pretty Anne!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gina.
DeleteIt is lovely, it is a very pretty colour, it looks like it will go with lots of different colours. I bet whoever it is for is delighted with it! Have a lovely weekend xx
ReplyDeleteIt was a pleasure to knit and I hope my SIL will like it.
DeleteThe shawl made with that pretty merino wool with nylon is lovely. I can imagine how soft and cozy it must feel around the neck. Whoever receives it as a gift will love it.
ReplyDeleteIt is beautifully soft and cosy and I'm looking forward to making one for myself.
DeleteI was especially interested seeing how blocking affected your pretty shawl. I like it looser, too, so that the stripes are more defined, but it is a lovely gift no matter how it is blocked. Thanks for posting. xx
ReplyDeleteThe blocking was a surprise but the recipient is very tall so the flatter, longer shawl will probably suit her better. I shall leave it unblocked when I make one for myself!
DeleteIt's a beautiful scarf, well worth a post of its own. The shape is so interesting and drapes well.
ReplyDeleteIt is a lovely pattern and I definitely make it again.
DeleteLooks beautiful, Annie. Interesting about the blocking, thanks for that. x
ReplyDeleteThe blocking made quite a difference!
DeleteThe shawl is beautiful, I love the yarn you picked for it, perfect!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Meredith
There is another hank of 'truly hooked' yarn in my stash, it is so scrummy.
DeleteWhat a beautiful shawl Annie! It really does look very soft and drapes nicely around you. I usually like it when the stitches all "settle" with blocking, but I can see how it would be disappointing to lose the pleats in this one.
ReplyDeleteWendy
It is lovely and I hope my SIL will like it as the shape should suit her.
DeleteReally beautiful ! would suit me too ! I could never do that, I have not enough patience !
ReplyDeleteIt was a relaxing knit, so not difficult!
DeleteIt looks fabulous in that yarn, and I know what you mean about losing the pleating during blocking, I felt a little sad about that too, but it's nice to have the longer shawl to wrap around yourself :-) xx
ReplyDelete