Hello, it is Friday again and here we are joining with Five on Friday with Amy at Love Made My Home. How is it that Friday's come round so quickly?
This week I had a day out to London to meet up with a friend and visit the Georgia O'Keeffe Exhibition at Tate Modern. We do not get together as much as we used to so it is a real treat to have a good old natter, catch up on news and visit a Gallery at the same time. We had both wanted to see the exhibition so it was a good excuse to meet up at Euston Station and have a day out.
Georgia O'Keeffe was not an artist I knew well. Like many others I was familiar with her flower paintings and the innuendo that was attached to them. She always opposed the sexualised readings of her work throughout her life. One wonders, if that was not created by others, particularly as she was a female artist in a man's world at the beginning of the 20th Century.
Georgia O'Keeffe's was born in 1887 in Wisconsin and declared a desire to be an artist from an early age. She died in 1986 at the age of 98 after a career spanning seven decades. She suffered from macular degeneration and lost central vision in the 1970's and made her final drawing in 1984.
I found the exhibition fascinating because it represented different periods throughout her long career.
Here are just five of the artworks that appealed to me, although the list could have been much longer.
| Special No. 9 1915 Charcoal on paper |
| From the Lake No.1 1924 Oil paint on canvas |
| Oriental Poppies 1927 Oil paint on canvas |
| Grey Hill Forms 1936 Oil paint on canvas |
| It Was Blue and Green 1960 Oil paint on canvas |
Normal I prefer figurative art rather than abstract, as I generally feel more comfortable knowing what I am looking at. At this exhibition it was the abstracted work that caught me most. The movement of the line and the amazing blending of the colours just made me want to twirl and dance along with them.
Very uplifting and not what I had expected at all.
Despite failing health in the 1970's, Georgia O'Keeffe collaborated with potter-sculptor Juan Hamilton who became her assistant and close friend. He taught her to work with clay at this time when she must have been in her nineties.
How wonderful, after a lifetime as an accomplished and celebrated artist, having the passion to learn new techniques.
A great day shared with a good friend.
Thanks L, until next time.
How wonderful, after a lifetime as an accomplished and celebrated artist, having the passion to learn new techniques.
A great day shared with a good friend.
Thanks L, until next time.

Always wonderful to catch up with friends and even better when you share the experience of a great exhibition. Love the work you shared with us.
ReplyDeleteIt was good to see L and even better that we enjoyed the exhibition together.
DeleteThe lines just flow don't they, very comforting almost. Thanks for sharing x
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are poor imitations of the artwork but are a good reminder of the day.
DeleteI would love to go to a museum. It sounds like you had a wonderful time :) I hope you can stop by:
ReplyDeletehttp://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/10/tea-time-dapper-man-and-his-girls-101416.html
Colletta
It was really worth the journey and special to share it with a friend.
DeleteIt's great to explore new artists and their work. I love the blue and green piece.
ReplyDeleteThat was one of my favourites too Fiona.
DeleteLove the paintings. Thanks for sharing ♥
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed them.
DeleteThank you for that little art exhibit. I love her use of color.
ReplyDeleteHer use of colour, blending and contrast is very dramatic.
DeleteI expect you had time to explore the Tate extension while you were there too. I watched the Imagine TV programme about Georgia O'Keefe which was fascinating.
ReplyDeleteWe spent so much time enjoying the exhibition we ran out if time to explore. That would be a good excuse for another visit though!
DeleteI have always loved her vibrant use of color. And I think she'd know what her paintings represented better than an art critic.
ReplyDeleteI agree, she was a strong woman and knew her own mind.
DeleteI know very little about her work. Thanks for the chance to take \ close look.
ReplyDeleteI have learned a lot about her from the exhibition and would like to dicover more. Maybe start with a biography of her life.
DeleteI can see what you mean about the flow & blending of colours that is so appealing! Thanks for sharing your fun day out with us!
ReplyDeleteThe blending becomes a little lost in photos and was amazing to see in her work. I would definitely go again.
DeleteThanks for sharing your experience. I have not been to an exhibit of her work, but I have loved seeing her work through various media...and am drawn to it and energized by viewing it. :)
ReplyDeleteI would really recommend seeing her work if you ever have the opportunity to do so.
DeleteGeorgia O'Keefe produced some wonderful works of art - those abstract lines evoke much of the scenery of the southwest USA. What a great outing with a friend.
ReplyDeleteHer work has encouraged me to find out much more about the places she lived, particularly the southwest of America.
DeleteThat's what I love meeting with a friend and visit an exhibition ! I have never heard of Georgia O'Keeffe or seen her paintings, although I am into paintings since 20 years and paint myself. So I learned something new !
ReplyDeleteOh that's great Gattina, I hope you discover more about her as her work is fascinating.
DeleteWhat a marvelous day out! I'm a New Mexico girl and Georgia O'Keefe is "in my blood". Love her works and her use of color. Lucky you to see the exhibition. Have a lovely week!
ReplyDeleteAfter seeing the exhibition I would love to visit New Mexico. It must be a fascinating place and so different to my little corner of the U.K.!
DeleteLovely to read your take on the exhibition. I enjoyed it but love her flower paintings so much I was disappointed not to see more of them.
ReplyDeleteI can understand Gina as I would have liked to see more flower paintings, but was surprised to so affected by her other work.
DeleteGeorgia O'Keeffe is an inspiration, her works of art are just amazing. So glad you enjoyed the show.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
I agree Meredith and I would defiantly go and see her work again if I get the opportunity. The photos do not do really do her justice.
Delete