As the evenings draw in, time for crafting increases. The garden pots no longer need watering and as the light fades in the afternoon the knitting needles and crochet hook come out. For some odd reason I have no problem with sewing during the daytime, in fact these days I need daylight to stitch. However, sitting and knitting or crocheting during daylight hours at home seems totally decadent. and downright wrong. Crazy, as knitting on the train or waiting for appointments is fine but if I sit down on the sofa at home to knit, I immediately feel guilty. One of the bonuses of darker evenings means more knitting and crochet time.
So for Five on Friday with the lovely Amy at Love Made my Home this week here are five crafty projects, some completed and others in progress.
1. Birthday Gift
These bags and notebook were completed for a friend's Birthday. J and I have known each other since school days and have shared knitting and crafting projects through the years. She travels regularly from her home in Cheshire to London and had asked if I could make her a bag for the smaller projects she takes with her on these journeys. I found this great fabric with knitting sheep (we share a love of sheep too!) and thought it would be perfect for the project.
Even the sheep's face was the perfect size for the covered button on the larger bag.
I am happy to say J was delighted with her gift.
2. Gothic Lace Cowl
This lovely baby alpaca has been sitting in the stash for a while. It was found in the "end of line" basket of a department store and I could not resist the gorgeous, squishy softness of it, not to mention the bright, cheery colour. There were only two skeins left and surprisingly they found there way home with me - does that happen to you or does yarn just leap into my basket?
There was not really enough yardage for a shawl but I found a cowl pattern Gothic Lace by Tin Can Knits. Rather than being joined or knitted in the round like many cowls it fastens with a row of buttons so can be worn as a collar too. I like adaptable patterns and the lace is a simple 12 row pattern. The alpaca is knitting up beautifully and sooooo lovely and soft to work with. When finished it will go in the Christmas present box - another one ticked off the list.
3. Taggy Blanket
The Taggy blanket started a few weeks ago, mentioned here, is finished and ready for the new arrival next year. The pattern from Kate at Just Pootling is so cute and was a pleasure to make. The rabbit's ears are perfect for chewing.
4. Shirley Notebooks
The notebook stock has been going down slowly so some time was spent earlier in the week creating a few more Shirley notebooks. A black sheep has joined the flock along with some new red covers.
5. Christmas Crochet
On Wednesday I met up with a friend for tea and some hooky time. As my current crochet at the moment is small Christmas gifts for our craft group, I could not take them with me. The free magazine gift above has been sitting in the work room for a while so was ideal for our get together.
The cute stocking pattern turned out well and a string of them would make a lovely garland. I must get back to pressie making though and if there is enough time, a garland may be created. If not this little one can hang on the tree.
Perhaps if I get over my fad about crocheting/knitting in the daytime it might help!

In love with this post. There is not one thing I don't like or covet. I am not surprised she loved her gifts, the material you chose was =just darling and how brilliant the sheep was the correct size for the button. I just adore Kate's patterns from Just Pootling, she seems such a warm person too. All your makes are fantastic, just love love love this post x
ReplyDeleteThank you, that is so kind of you. Kate's patterns are great and I would like to make them all!
DeleteYou've been busy making allsorts of wonderful things! I really couldn't decide which I like the best.
ReplyDeleteMy favourites change from day to day although the taggy bunny keeps working her way to the top of the list.
DeleteThank you for the lovely comment about my Dad. Much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI love your sheepy makes. The covered button is very sweet.
Your post reminded me of my much loved Dad who died 9 years ago, so thank you.
DeleteA great five, I loved them all. The notebooks were amazing such a great make. I allow myself to sit down in the afternoon now that I don't spend so much time outside and crochet but feel guilty in the morning. How silly are we...
ReplyDeleteIt is silly isn't it? I think it must be the product of a busy working life when knitting/crochet was a few minutes treat at the end of the day.
DeleteWhat a beautiful post! I love all your makes especially the notebooks. I'm a little bit of a notebook hoarder I'm afraid. I'm with you - there are certain things I feel guilty for doing in the daytime. I think you're right - it is something that was used as a 'treat' when all the work was done!
ReplyDeleteHappy Five on Friday
I have quite a collection of notebooks too. It is quite rediculous we feel guilty but I guess it is a lifetime of conditioning.
DeleteWhat a super five. The colours in the gifts you have made are wonderful and I love the sheep bag and the sheep face covering the button. Great taggy blanket too:)
ReplyDeleteThank you, I do love bright colours. The sheep face button was very fortuitous.
DeleteSuch adorable things you did ! When I was younger (a lot younger), I loved to do these kind of things too, but now I don't have the patience anymore.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how we do different things at different times of our lives. I had not crocheted for years until I was inspired to late last December. Now it has become a great love again.
DeleteA great crafty five. I love all your makes. Your little stockings would indeed make a lovely garland, must look out for a pattern for these. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Jan. The stocking pattern was in a recent Homemaker giveaway but there is probably something similar, if not the same, on Ravelry.
DeleteSuch beautiful things you have been making!! I love them all. I know what you mean about evening and daytime things, I think of sewing as daytime and crochet as evening and I am supposed to be a designer and really that gives me carte blanche to crochet in the daytime, but I still keep it for the evening! Thank you for being part of Five On Friday, hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank you Amy, you make such wonderful things yourself, it's interesting that crochet is an evening activity for you too! Have a good week.
DeleteAll your makes are wonderful. I love the detail on them such as the covered button on the bag and creative way you use fabric.
ReplyDeleteI was so pleased the sheep was just the right size for the button!
DeleteSuch a lovely collection of crafty makes. I'm going to check out that cowl pattern as I have lots of those sort of yarn purchases... Odd skeins that I couldn't resist.
ReplyDeleteIt's a great pettern Gina, but then I love most of Tin Can Knits designs.
DeleteI'm like you . Love to knit and crochet but always feel better doing it on the long winter evenings. Love the pretty cable cowl pattern. Looks like you are going to be busy :) B x
ReplyDeleteIts crazy isn't it that we feel guilty knitting or crocheting in the day time.
DeleteI do feel a bit guilty when I sit down in the afternoon to knit , not that that happens very often. Why do we do that to ourselves? I am loving everything you have made, especially those sheep.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
Must be part of the female make-up Meredith - we are programmed to think we should always be working in daylight hours!
DeleteAbsolutely adorable crafts & gifts! & the red is so cheery to see in the cowl, now that we've got the dull grey days settling upon us.
ReplyDeleteIt really is time to start thinking of Christmas, isn't it?
Happy weekend!
Christine preferablyprim
I had not realised but red does feature a lot in these projects!
DeleteWhat delightful gifts you make, really like the notebooks and the teeny, tiny socks.
ReplyDeleteI hope I get enough time to make some more stockings as a garland of them would be very pretty.
DeleteAll your sheep projects had me at hello, especially the black one. Adorable.
ReplyDeleteI think I will have to make some more black sheep as she does look quite cute.
DeleteWhat a lot of gorgeous things you have made. You are very talented - and industrious! I know what you mean about sitting down in the day to knit or crochet. It's an evening thing for me and feels very decadent and naughty if I do it during the day, which is bonkers really. x
ReplyDeleteIt is bonkers - why do we do these things to ourselves?
DeleteDrar Annie!
ReplyDeleteLovely creative projects you are showing as Fridayfives.
I have a son who is very creative with his sewingmachine, making different projects and his own clothes.
Happy Sunday!
Best wishes,
AnnA
How lovely that a young man makes his own clothes. he must be very creative.
DeleteYour fingers have been busy! I love the gifts you made for your friend. The knitting sheep are too cute. They made me smile. The cowl is lovely and isn't it nice to use up some of the stash. I don't it is possible to rid oneself of all the stash,but we can try! I giggled when you said the ears are good for chewing... :)
ReplyDeleteIt is good to use up some stash but I'm afraid I have been naughty and added to it this week.
DeleteLooking all so pretty♥
ReplyDelete